Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Fircrest apartment fire caused by box left on stove

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:05 am |
February 1, 2013 9:02 am

An apartment fire in Fircrest that displaced five people Wednesday was started by a cardboard box left on the stove by tenants moving in, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.

The blaze, which damaged four units in Fircrest Gardens at 1425 Rainier Dr., caused an estimated $99,000 in damages.

Firefighters were called to the complex just before 10 a.m. and found heavy flames and smoke showing from the second floor. They were able to contain the fire to a single apartment but the other three units were also affected.

Investigators said the power was activated for the new tenants Wednesday morning and the stove lit a box set on top of it.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.