Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Kitchen fire displaces 4 from Kent apartment

Post by Alexis Krell / The News Tribune on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
January 9, 2013 7:04 pm

A kitchen fire reported by a passerby at 4:33 p.m. in the 500 block of 4th Avenue South in Kent has displaced two adults and two children, according to the Kent Fire Department.

An adult and two children were home at the time, but were not inside, officials said. A pet cat has not been accounted for.

Investigators said the blaze started when unattended cooking oil overheated in the complex, which is operated by King County Housing and the YWCA.

The flames extensively damaged the kitchen and dining room of the single story apartment, but crews kept it from spreading to the attic or other units, officials said.

The people displaced are being helped by the American Red Cross.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.