A fire that burned a commercial building Monday was caused by embers from a band saw that ignited pieces of wood in the ducts and hopper, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.
Crews responded about 3:10 p.m. to the blaze at 1815 East D Street, a structure used by Valley Line Cabinets.
Firefighters doused flames in the duct system that sucks sawdust out of the building, but the fire spread to the 35-foot metal hopper.
No one was injured. Damages are estimated at $35,000, department spokesman Joe Meinecke said.