Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Commercial building fire in Tacoma caused by band saw embers

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:19 am |
January 8, 2013 11:19 am

A fire that burned a commercial building Monday was caused by embers from a band saw that ignited pieces of wood in the ducts and hopper, according to the Tacoma Fire Department.

Crews responded about 3:10 p.m. to the blaze at 1815 East D Street, a structure used by Valley Line Cabinets.

Firefighters doused flames in the duct system that sucks sawdust out of the building, but the fire spread to the 35-foot metal hopper.

No one was injured. Damages are estimated at $35,000, department spokesman Joe Meinecke said.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.