A fire damaged a house in Covington this morning after fireplace ashes left in a plastic bag on a wooden deck ignited, according to the Kent Fire Department.
The blaze started about 10 a.m. in the 18200 block of Southeast 262nd Place.
Capt. Kyle Ohashi said flames swept through the crawlspace and burned several floor joists before crews put the fire out.
No one was injured.
The department reminds residents to dispose of ashes in a metal container with a tight lid and leave them outside at least five feet away from combustible materials. Embers can remain hot enough to ignite for several days.