Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Ashes start fire at Covington house

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
January 2, 2013 1:31 pm

A fire damaged a house in Covington this morning after fireplace ashes left in a plastic bag on a wooden deck ignited, according to the Kent Fire Department.

The blaze started about 10 a.m. in the 18200 block of Southeast 262nd Place.

Capt. Kyle Ohashi said flames swept through the crawlspace and burned several floor joists before crews put the fire out.

No one was injured.

The department reminds residents to dispose of ashes in a metal container with a tight lid and leave them outside at least five feet away from combustible materials. Embers can remain hot enough to ignite for several days.

The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for Report violators to