Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Driver who hit Tacoma house while fleeing deputies charged with assault

Post by Adam Lynn / The News Tribune on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm with No Comments »
December 3, 2012 2:57 pm

Pierce County prosecutors today charged a  man who crashed into a Tacoma house while allegedly fleeing police with two counts of first-degree assault and attempting to elude law enforcement.

Bobby Anson Pease pleaded not guilty during his arraignment in Superior Court. Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered Pease, 44,  jailed in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Prosecutors believe it was Pease who was behind the wheel of a sedan sheriff’s deputies tried to stop early Friday morning after watching the car make an illegal lane change in the 9600 block of Tacoma Avenue South.

Instead of pulling over, the driver sped off, and a “pursuit commenced complete with police lights and sirens,” charging papers state.  Deputies twice called off the chase when speeds reached dangerous levels — prosecutors said Pease allegedly hit 100 mph just before he crashed on South 38th Street — but picked it up again after spotting Pease driving more slowly in another part of town, court records show.

At one point, deputies riding in the same patrol car spotted the sedan in the 6400 block of South F Street. The sedan’s driver made eye contact with them before driving his car straight at them at high speed, the records show. It was for that alleged act that Pease is charged with the assault charges, which constitute strikes under Washington’s “three strikes you’re out law.”

Shortly thereafter, Pease allegedly drove  down Portland Avenue at 85 mph but slowed “and appeared to wait for deputies to catch up,” the records show.

“Pease motioned with his hand as if indicating, ‘come on,'” prosecutors wrote. “Pease accelerated away again. Speeds reached 90 mph as Pease weaved in and out of traffic on 38th Street headed toward I-5.”

Not long after he lost control and crashed into a fourplex. No one inside was injured.

Deputies then arrested Pease, who suffered a head injury, and took him to a local hospital for treatment. He later was booked into jail.

Prosecutors said today Pease has an extensive criminal record, including convictions for escape and attempting to elude police.

Leave a comment Comments
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0