Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Woman rescued from window of burning home in South Tacoma

Post by Jordan Schrader / The News Tribune on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm with No Comments »
November 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Clothing up against an electric baseboard heater caught fire this morning in a house in the 4800 block of South Pine Street that lacked a working smoke detector, Battalion Chief David McRoberts said.

Five adults and two children were inside. One was trapped until firefighters climbed a ladder to a  second-story window to rescue her, McRoberts said.

“I think she’s OK,” McRoberts said. “At the time I was there she was not transported” to the hospital.

The fire was extinguished quickly after causing smoke damage to parts of the house and melting a television, McRoberts said. The American Red Cross was helping the family, who won’t be able to stay in the house for now.

McRoberts said clothing should be kept at least three feet from heaters.

Leave a comment Comments
*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0