Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Western State Hospital patient dies after choking on dinner

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
September 10, 2012 2:22 pm

A 53-year-old Western State Hospital patient died Saturday, two days after choking during dinner.

Officials today declined to release the name or gender of the patient, who began choking about 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Hospital workers tried to resuscitate the patient but were unsuccessful.

The patient’s guardians decided Saturday morning to take them off life-support.

The hospital said it is investigating the death, which is standard procedure when a patient dies unexpectedly.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.