Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Deputies search for elderly woman missing from Spanaway care home

Post by Alexis Krell / The News Tribune on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm with 7 Comments »
August 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Deputies are looking for a 76-year-old woman missing from a Spanaway adult family home, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.

She was last seen about 4 p.m. at the facility in the 19800 block of 16th Avenue Court East, employees at the home told deputies.

The woman has possible mental health issues and uses a walker, according to the sheriff’s department.

She was last seen wearing a black jacket and olive green pants and is described as a white female.

Search and Rescue personnel are on scene looking for the woman.

1. MrCarleone says:

When you combine poor quality of care, with little to none supervision, this is what happens !

These Elderly Death Houses are sprouting-up all over because there is big money to be made !

2. notimetobleed says:

I can’t speak to the quality of this particular Adult Family Home, but I can say that there are many ways to keep our seniors safer that are not being utilized by the vast majority of Adult Family Homes (security systems, exit monitors, GPS, etc.). This is not always the fault of the AFH, many times it is the family members who refuse or cannot pay for such things.

The lure of $4k-$5k per month per resident does bring many to the AFH industry only to find that the time and expenses to run a quality facility are much higher than they were prepared for. Then when their clients money run out they find that they are now only getting $1300-$1500 per client from Medicare yet their expenses have not changed (in some cases they actually go up once Medicare gets involved). This is just one of many reasons that the AFH industry has a very high churn rate as a business model, almost as many shut down every year as are created.

3. debbalee says:

A photo would be helpful.

4. fanciladi says:

@MrCarleone…that is NOT always the case. My Dad got out of the Adult Family Home he was in…they had the door alarmed and all. Many of these older people with dementia are not dumb. My Dad was a very smart guy and could figure things out, even suffering from dementia. He got out without the alarm going off…and took e a walk. Thankfully the caregiver saw him and he talked him back to the home. They can’t force them to stay in the home.

By law they can’t lock the doors or restrain the residents. This was a very good home and they took very good care of him!

They are NOT all Elderly Death Houses as you say. Some, yes, but not all.

@notimetobleed…those are good ideas and I’m sure good homes probably are using them.

5. Jubilee50 says:

I am an eldercare consultant with 20+ years of experience in the long term care industry, including managing assisted living communities and skilled nursing facilities. It pains me to see the negative comments about Adult Family Homes because I know how many wonderful providers are out there, giving their lives and hearts to the elderly. Not every Adult Family Home is wonderful – I do not deny that! But many are a wonderful alternative to institutional settings. Not every skilled nursing facility is wonderful either – but many are. It’s not fair to stereotype all homes as death traps nor is it fair to say that it’s about money – those are ignorant comments. Dementia is a progressive disease and not all who have dementia exit seek or wander. Changes can take place overnight and the state has many regulations against what is considered “restraints” and a person’s right to leave a property. I have worked in skilled nursing facilities where those with dementia escaped in ways you can never anticipate. One retired military mechanic actually used a penny to unscrew and remove a window in a matter of minutes. Please do not make judgments without having all of the facts, and criticize an entire industry of many, many amazing people doing the right things for the right reasons. Be grateful that WA has been progressive enough to license and regulate a care option that for many families will be their only option as our country will be faced with an epidemic soon – those over 80 are the fastest growing segment of our population for the next two decades! As for costs – most of you work in a business that pays for 8 hours of labor a day. You can’t imagine the costs of paying for three eight hour shifts a day! It is expensive, all-consuming work – for which most who do it believe it is their mission and calling in life. God bless them!

6. fanciladi says:

@Jubilee50…very well said. The place my Dad was at was wonderful…the owners were husband and wife…she an RN and he an LPN. The staff was very caring and all was clean.

The escape artist you mention reminded me of my Dad… :)

7. notimetobleed says:

If anyone is still reading these comments…

@jubilee50

I hope you didn’t take may comments as negative. I do know that there are some very good AFH’s out there. I was merely stating from fact regarding the AFH churn rate. This is an admitted problem even from their own industry. I know they want to fix this.

I too have many years in the LTC business (we probably know each other), and the fact is, many facilites (AL,SNF & AFH) do not utilize all the tools avaialable to them in order to keep residents safe. As a trend, I see AFH’s as the worst offenders with regard to not using available technology to keep residents safe. AL’s & SNF’s do a much better job of this but they are also more highly regulated to do so.

I am awhare of the whole “Restraint” rules and I call hogwash that a bed-exit alarm, door alarm, or GPS system could be considered a restraint. I have taken many a surveyor to task on this and they have always backed down because they know they are wrong, because there is nothing in the WAC to back their claim.

There are even special shoes with GPS in the heels now, they cost $300 for the shoes and $45 per month to monitor. For some this is not affordable, I get that. Good Bed monitors cost $140, Good Door alarms cost $110. Motion sensors cost $115. Windows can be monitored too. These are not insurmountable costs.

I have a great deal of respect for those that choose to be care providers, but I also think that safety more-often-than-not comes second to profit and budget limitations. People get out, it happens, but it doesn’t have to happen so often.