Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Man killed in 1-car wreck on Interstate 705 in Tacoma

Post by Adam Lynn / The News Tribune on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm with 18 Comments »
August 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Photo by TNT's Joe Barrentine

UPDATE: Man who died was 58 and from Federal Way. Name being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

UPDATE: More from Gill:There was no braking or steering from the driver at all. This might very well have be caused by a medical incident.”

UPDATE: From Gill: “Driver was SB on SR-509, left the roadway to the right, struck the curbing which vaulted him over the barrier down onto I-705.”

UPDATE: It’s 32 feet from the overpass deck to the surface of 705 below, Gill said.

UPDATE: WSDOT reporting one lane of NB 705 is now open.

UPDATE: Gill said the car was northbound on 705 when it exited to the 21st Street/SR 509 exit when it left the overpass.

UPDATE: Gill said the vehicle involved was exiting to route 509 when it lost control, left the overpass, and came down onto I-705. Troopers are estimating 705 will be shut down for at least two hours while they investigate the crash.

Kraig Goff said he and his wife were driving on I-705 when the car “just came down. It was  surreal.”

PREVIOUS POST: A man was killed Wednesday afternoon in a one-vehicle crash on Interstate 705 in downtown Tacoma. The wreck occurred around 1 p.m. near state Route 509.

Washington State Patrol Trooper Guy Gill says all northbound lanes of I-705 are blocked.

This is a developing story. We will post more details as soon as they’re available.

1. It’s spelled ‘braking’, not ‘breaking’ when referring to applying the brakes on a vehicle. That is, unless the writer is implying there was nothing ‘breaking’ (such as certain mechanical parts failing) on the vehicle…but, it is doubtful that was what was intended. Instead, it’s just another episode of poor grammar and/or editing.

2. We’ll never get over the childish addiction to cars.
    Look at that picture and count up the costs.

3. cherylita says:

Take that TNT! how dare you not march to the tune of the grammar police!

4. SwordofPerseus says:

Interesting statement from WSP “SB(south bound) SR-509″. SR-509 runs east-west, driver must have really been moving to change the direction of the State Road

5. Just like I-5 does not always run north-south, but there are definitely northbound and southbound lanes, as it is a North-South freeway. As SR-509 begins in Tacoma and terminates as part of SR-99 in Seattle, I’d say WSP’s statement is fine.

Terrible accident.

6. alindasue says:

I never realized this before, but looking at the picture, there appears to be railing to speak of on that overpass. If this were indeed caused by a medical incident, I wonder if a rail might have made a difference in if the car had gone over the edge or not.

7. alindasue says:

I meant to type that there appears to be NO railing to speak of on that overpass…

8. photinia says:

sorry but spelling DOES matter….every time I see somebody “loosing” their mind…I lose mine.

9. srvivinglife says:

If I owned a newspaper and one of my writers made basic spelling and grammar errors, that writer would no longer work for me.

10. I personally saw this accident as the car hit the highway below. Very sad. Now for the state to fix the above highway and jersey barriers, instead of launching cars to the highway below some kind of barrier like and soft wall like NASCAR.

11. Ohhappyday says:

I find it interesting that people are so worried about whether something is spelled correctly or whether the direction of travel was correct instead of the fact that someone died here. Sorry to his family for the cold heartedness of some people. My heart goes out to them for this horrible news that have had to receive.

12. Mpasseck says:

WOW don’t know if it’s even worth responding to. I made the phone call to his son who just arrived in Syracuse for college and his wife who is now totally alone and the comments consist of spell check. A FATHER HUSBAND AND WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING DIED.

13. frankiethomas says:

This was horrible. I am sorry to the family who lost their loved one. I was headed up 705 at just about that time and couldn’t get through due to the wreck had to go around, and when I came back southbound and saw the wreck I said a little prayer, knew it was bad. Mpasseck sorry for your loss.

14. Mpasseck, I’m sorry that must have been a horrible thing to have to do. What a nightmare for everyone involved. My thoughts are with the family.

I’m glad that no other cars were hit in this terrible incident.

15. Bulltank4 says:

I saw the accident and The man in the vehicle almost hit us. we was sitting at the traffic light and we was about to go across the intersection and he missed but hit the middle of the Traffic barrier thing and then hit the second barrier and we saw the car fall and heard the crunch of the roof being smashed in. we called 911 and I guess it was to late for him.

16. Thank you, Ohhappy day and Mpasseck for putting this in perspective. The man in the auto was my brother, Scott. Spelling errors and directional errors aside, I will miss my brother very much.

17. Ohhappyday says:

Paulaj… So very sorry for your loss. :(

18. footballscaa says:

Fantasy baseball friend and a good man to lunch with at his favorite place, The Ram. I’ll miss your calls Scott. Rest in Peace.