Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Tacoma house fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
August 20, 2012 1:08 pm

An overloaded extension cord caused a house fire in Tacoma early this morning that injured one firefighter.

Flames and heavy smoke were reported about 3:10 a.m. in the 5200 block of S. Mason Avenue.

Smoke alarms alerted three people inside the home, and they were able to safely escape the blaze. Two residents were evaluated at the scene but were not taken to the hospital.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire, which spread through the interior and the back of the roof area.

Damages are estimated at $200,000.

The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for Report violators to