Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Stolen vintage cars, valued at $150,000 apiece, recovered by Pierce County deputies

Post by Adam Lynn / The News Tribune on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm with 15 Comments »
August 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Pierce County sheriff’s deputies have recovered two vintage cars stolen from a South Hill warehouse last week.

Deputies found the 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray this morning in the Gem Heights area of South Hill, sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle was recovered a few days ago in Tacoma, Troyer said.

Tips from people who saw media accounts about the stolen cars led to their recovery, he said.

Police were processing the cars for fingerprints and other clues but had made no arrests as of Friday afternoon.

“We do have some leads,” Troyer said.

The cars, each valued at more than $150,000, were stolen late Aug. 8 or early Aug. 9 from a warehouse near 162nd Street and Meridian East.

1. nosugarcoating says:

Ironic that cars with high value are found, but those that are just every day commuters are rarely recovered, especially in such a timely fashion.

2. nonstopjoe says:

Don’t worry – the perp(s)will likely not be prosecuted, Car theft in Tacoma is treated much the same as marijuana.

3. Pecksbadboy says:

Sorry the Tucci family are big in the area so the Police work extra hard for them. Look, it made headlines in the TNT to prove it.

At least the burglary was from stupidity and not insurance fraud. Have they ever heard of not leaving the keys on the premises for such valuable cars?

4. aalivestrong says:

These are unique cars. they dont blend in well like the used honda’s my daughter drives. She had her car stolen and found within 24 hours.
    It says in the article that citizens helped in finding the cars, they called Police with information. YAY Citizens!!!
    We are in this town together, we have to help our neighbors. The Police can not be everywhere.
    A Big Thanks to all involved in finding the cars! Proof that we, citizens, can make a difference!

5. assinine says:

Who even insures these car worth that much ???

6. Haggerty Insurance insures collector cars, cheap! My 68 dodge charger full coverage, $300 a year, $75,000 valued car. Get LOJACK this time! Only car security system connected to the police.

7. klondiko says:

Way overvalued for insurance purposes. Hope they didn’t cash and spend the check.

8. lovethemountains says:

ahh,aalivestrong posts a reasonable and intelligent comment. Refreshing.

9. prairiegirl says:

Nice post aalivestrong.

10. truthbusterguy says:

Way to go PC cops.

11. pattyplumley says:

Way to go deputies! You guys rock!

12. lovethemountains says:

klondiko….Way over priced? Perhaps. But it all depends on the details of the vehicle; whether it is totally original in all ways, the particular motor (small block or big block) what original options it has and the documented mileage. Check out Barrett-Jackson auctions some time.

13. Harry_Anslinger says:

@nonstopjoe…you obviously weren’t great at connect the dots as a child. Comparing car theft too applying cannabis prohibition or state medical cannabis laws(you don’t clarify which)not only doesn’t make sense it betrays some weird bias towards wasting time and money on cannabis offenses under the guise of commenting on stolen cars.

14. Last time one of my cars was stolen there was one part time deputy working car theft in Pierce County. I later found out who did it when they stole my sons truck and when I told the Sheriffs office who and where they where I was told to mind my own business.

Last I knew, around 50 cars a day are being stolen in Pierce County.

I got involved with throwing out my state senator when she told me that it was a victimless crime and would not support legislation to stop it. She was not re-elected. I would mention the name but I bet the post would be deleted.

They have made the penalties tougher at long last but they are still pretty lax.

15. Maybe the car owners should pay into the ‘My car helped bankrupt
    America Fund.’ Kind of like everyone else.