Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Two vintage cars stolen from Puyallup warehouse

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Aug. 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm with 15 Comments »
August 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Two vintage cars were stolen this week from a Puyallup warehouse and the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department is asking for the public’s help in locating them.

Someone broke into a warehouse near 162nd Street and Meridian East sometime between 10 p.m. Wednesday and 9 a.m. Thursday and stole the cars, which are each valued at more than $150,000.

Stolen were a blue 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2-door hardtop coupe and a dark gray 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 2-door hardtop with black racing stripes.

“I want to get my babies back,” said owner Gary Tucci. “They’re very high-end… I mean, they were perfect. They were tough to lose.”

The Corvette was purchased last year at the Barrett-Jackson auction, which is billed as “the world’s greatest collector car auctions.” It sold for $115,500. Tucci bought the Chevelle three years ago from a private collector in Arizona.

Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and charging of the suspects.

Anonymous tips can be made to 253-591-5959.

1. Sounds like “Gone in 60 Seconds”.

2. gonefishin69690 says:

Actually, some crackheads will probably part them out for $200.00 worth of scrap iron, so they can get high another couple days. This is just way too sad!

3. fanciladi says:

Very SAD…if they were worth so much I’m wondering why there weren’t cameras or other security on this warehouse. Neither of those security items were mentioned…but, maybe there was. I don’t have that much $$$ to spend on these cars, but if I did, I’d have spent more to secure them…

Total shame….feel bad for the owner…… :(

4. Mandatory to install LOJACK! Car could have been found all the way in England! My Dad has vintage cars one was stolen, found in 5 minutes after LOJACK was activated!

5. fanciladi says:

BORG7…sounds like that would have been a great investment for this owner. Seems someone into old and/or desireable cars would know about that.

6. No doubt fanci! All of my collector friends have LOJACK installed; their cars are not close to his $100,000 +; common sense 101!

7. I wonder how much they were insured for!

8. RegisteringFool says:

Of course we should all do our civil duty, but does anybody think that a $1000 reward is a bit chintzy?

9. MadTaxpayer says:

More like in an ocean going container heading for Russia.

10. Cars are really important to America considering how much damage
    they do, aren’t they?

11. Irritated says:

Lol, I was pretty offended by the $1k “award” too. Maybe ol Mr. Collector should kick in a couple of his own dollars.

12. buddyandelliott says:

Like it was already said, Gone in 60 seconds, currently residing an a container marked “golf carts” or something innocent headed overseas.

13. Sroldguy says:

“A $6,000 reward is being offered for tips leading to charges against those responsible.”

The Vice President of the National Electrical Contractors Association doesn’t have an alarm system on his toy storage warehouse? Amazing!

14. Irritated says:

Suspicious, if you ask me…

15. Alaska47 says:

What happened to my comment?