Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Man allegedly held gun to woman’s head outside Tacoma bar

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:05 am with 11 Comments »
August 6, 2012 10:01 am

A man held a gun to a woman’s head outside a Tacoma bar Saturday morning, prompting security officers to draw their own weapons.

The incident occurred at Latitude 84, 8401 S. Hosmer St, shortly before 2 a.m.

Police said a man in a Chevy Tahoe pulled his gun on a woman in another car and held it to her head while making threats. At least one security officer pulled out his weapon, and the man fled south.

Officers pulled the man over and arrested him in the 8800 block of S. Hosmer Street on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a firearm and intimidation.

A gun was recovered from the SUV after police served a search warrant.

1. nosugarcoating says:

I wish the city would close that stupid place down, it’s always in the news for criminal activity.

2. ozdaddy says:

The fact that the bar has to have security officers that carry guns is all you should need to know about this place.

3. Chippert says:

Ah yes, Latitude 84. Such a class establishment. I think an empty lot overgrown with weeds would be quite an improvement.

4. MrCarleone says:

How did I know that was the Latitude ?

Low class bar, for low class people.

5. openvoice says:

wow thats freaken funny last week same place same story diff dude.so lets get this right the bar is so dangerous that untrained security has to have a gun and theres housing less than 50 feet away in which the elderly and kids reside.this also highlights that last story ok the show promoter supposedly was there twice waving a gun yet not one of the security officers drew a weapon yet now they have guns. wat happen to the onwers comment about if somethings wrong to call the police, guess it sounded good enough to say at that moment or did she think we the people would forget word to the wise avoid that bar!

6. Harry_Anslinger says:

Not to pile on but I guessed Lat84 before reading the article. Go figure.

7. lareal65 says:

This is ridiculous that you believe everything you read. Talk about false reporting, racial profiling and discrimination. Hey reporter..report the facts and stop making up slanderous news articles. If that is your forte’ I suggest working for the Enquirer. I’ve been going to Latitude since the early 90’s. No I’m not a drug addict or a thug or gang banger or even black! I happen to enjoy listening to R&B music, old school, hip hop and yes some rap. Nothing but good people frequent and run this establishment. I’ve never once felt threatened in any way. I’ve seen more altercations at Dawsons and Starlight. I don’t see them in the front page. It’s obvious that law enforcement and a certain newspaper have banned together on a mission. I thought this was 2012 and we the people have the freedom to listen to the type of music we like. It is apparent that the only estabishment that can operate in the city of Tacoma, are bars that play county or rock. Listening to R&B, Mowtown, Soul, Rap and Hip Hop does not make you a thug, gang banger, drug addict or low life. How narrow minded, Shame on you!

8. drkracker151 says:

lareal65 I’m pretty sure if any place had weekly gun incidents it would be on here all the time. And when a bouncer needs to pack a gun, your pretty much automatically going to assume it’s the Starlight jr.

9. jamjack316 says:

It saddens me the narrow minded people that beleive stuff just because it is in the news. It disgusts me that our own Tacoma News Tribune has lowered it’s standards to be printing anything “alleged” if it can get a reaction without being accountable for proving their facts. I have been a Latitude regular for years now, I am a 30ish white female in the medical profession who happens to enjoy the “cheers” atmosphere that is based out of there along with listening to r&b, hip hop, some rap, and old school music. I have family birthdays there from my little sisters 21st to my grandfathers 68th. We have a diverse mix of races, ages, and professions that are regulars up there like a second family and the only shooting going on is alot of pool and darts. They do have added security on certain nights and events that draws non regulars but NONE of them are armed. Ignorant people’s actions that happen in parking lots or areas by an establishment shouldn’t be responsible for the dumb idiots that make poor choices! I for one fully support Latitde suing the pants off of these slanderous ignorant people who won’t even bother to go up there and watch the video tapes of every incident that “allegedly” happens up there, YES LATITUDE HAS CAMERAS EVERYWHERE EVEN IN THE PARKING LOT for added safety and evidence of everything going on. SHAME on narrow minded, prejudical, slanderous ones! I certainly am not a gang banger, drug addict, low life either and neither are the IT analysts, medical professionals, corrections officers, civil service workers, hair stylists, or school teachers that I play cards, shoot pool or darts with up there regularly.

10. MrCarleone says:

Thank you Jamjack, for another stunningly ignorant letter.

11. pharcyde says:

Funny how ever urban establishment gets the finger pointed at them. Those of you who read into the negativity are the ignorant ones. I’ve been a regular at latitude for over 8 yrs Im a dart player as well a customer who comes to hear good music and a nice food and drink. All bars has it riff raff if it’s country rock hiphop or rock. Latitude has done many things for the community. Fund raisers for relay for life,feeding the homeless and even helping customers that has nohealth insurance with money donated to them but you wouldn’t no this if you’ve never been there or hear read nothing but negative! Then you all say the bouncers there pack weapons false statement they have hired security which carry tasers not handguns. Im done!