Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Divers searching Lake Tapps recover body

Post by Debbie Cafazzo / The News Tribune on July 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm with 6 Comments »
July 21, 2012 11:57 pm

UPDATE: 11:53 PM Officials confirm a body was found in Lake Tapps Saturday night. Sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said it was found using sonar, verified using a remote robot and recovered by the dive team.

UPDATE 9 PM: Dive team was making one last attempt before dark using sonar. Will reevaluate tomorrow

Divers from the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department and rescuers from the East Pierce County Fire Department were on the scene at Lake Tapps Saturday evening searching for a 20-year-old swimmer who went under the water and didn’t come up.

Sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said the incident was reported about 5:30 p.m. today. He said witnesses said the young man, visiting from Minnesota, tried to swim across the lake from a county park. He said the man’s swimming partner, as well as people on an inner tube, tried to help the distressed swimmer, but were not able to.

1. manwithaplan says:

The water is really really cold, and young people seems to think wearing some sort of PFD is somehow not cool, we really need to change this mindset, too many dead young people in the lake and our local rivers. I swim in Tapps all the time and there is no way anyone should be swimming across the lake like that, just too risky, not worth getting yourself dead.

2. BoggyCreekBeast says:

We were all young once and believed mortality is light years away, but the sad fact that it is within arm’s reach at any moment of each and every day. There is no need to be harsh or judgmental, just be thankful that the inevitable hasn’t reached out and taken us. Yet.

3. anicole2598 says:

His name is Marcus Henderson, also known as “Fly Henderson”. He is from Minensota, and wad also a really talented individual recording artist on the rise. I find this really sad and all my prayers go out to his family and friends. If you ever get the chance you should listen to his music. Go on YouTube and type in Fly Henderson. Personally i think everyone should listen to Forever Ain’t Enough becuase, its a really deep song and it touched my heart so I’m sure it will touch yours.. Rest in peace Marcus you will be missed :’) <3

4. anicole2598 says:

and @sinnedtig: why would you even say that? I’m pretty sure you don’t know him so why are you judging him because of his age? I mean yeah he should’ve worn a life jacket but i don’t think he woke up that morning knowing he was going to drown. The only person that did know was the man himself, God. You should just pray for his family and not judge him by his actions. Again R.I.P Marcus “Fly” Henderson <3

5. alindasue says:

anicole2598,

I took your advice and went to YouTube. I have to admit that rap is not my favorite style of music, but I just spent the last 40 minutes listening to Fly Henderson. He had a nice sound and relatively clean lyrics. My favorites of the ones I listened to were “Hello” and “I do”, although I’m pretty sure it will be “Forever Ain’t Enough” that they play at his funeral. The words just seem to fit…

My heart go out to his family and to his friends and fans who lost someone they love at much too young an age. My prayers are with you.

6. Irritated says:

Man, so many people drowning this summer. RIP Fly!