Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Sex offender pleads not guilty in 1995 rape of Buckley girl

Post by Adam Lynn / The News Tribune on July 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
July 20, 2012 8:07 am

A convicted sex offender already serving life in prison without the possibility of parole pleaded not guilty Thursday to raping a Buckley girl in 1995.

Superior Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered Donald Schneider, 53, held without bail pending his trial.

Pierce County prosecutors contend forensics technicians earlier this year matched DNA evidence collected in the 1995 rape to Schneider. He was brought back from the state penitentiary in Walla Walla to answer the newest charges against him.

Schneider allegedly snatched the fourth-grade special education student from a bus stop then raped her, court records show.

A woman later spotted the girl walking alone the Alder Cutoff Road near Springwater Road and stopped to check on her. The girl said a man had picked her up, assaulted her and dropped her off in the woods.

Schneider allegedly told the girl, “I’m a drunk old man and my brain needs help and I’m going to leave you here so someone can pick you up,” documents state.

The girl needed surgery to repair injuries inflicted during the assault.

Schneider previously was convicted of second-degree rape and a parole violation in 1982 and of first-degree robbery and second-degree possession of stolen property in 1997, according to the state Department of Corrections.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.