Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Judge denies lower bail for man charged in decade-old sexual assault in Tacoma

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
July 18, 2012 2:16 pm

A Pierce County judge today refused to lower bail for a man accused of sexually assaulting a Tacoma woman a decade ago.

Prosecuting Attorney Lori Kooiman said the judge left Brian Brent’s bail at $750,000 because he is considered a high flight risk and could possibly re-offend.

Brent, 38, of University Place, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree rape, first-degree burglary with sexual motivation and second-degree assault with sexual motivation in the June 2, 2002, incident.

In that incident, the victim told police she was attacked at her home in the 5000 block of North Bristol Street while she was sleeping. She had left the door unlocked for her boyfriend and awoke to find a stranger standing over her. The intruder left after assaulting her.

A DNA sample taken from the woman’s pajama pants, which were soiled with the intruder’s semen, linked to Brent earlier this year after being compared to the state’s database of convicted felons.

In a letter asking for a lower bail, Brent’s wife Linda said his main concern is their children and he would never skip bail for fear of not seeing them again.

“It has never been an option to run and live a life as a fugitive,” Linda Brent wrote.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.