Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Body of missing University Place hiker found

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on July 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm with 18 Comments »
July 9, 2012 4:37 pm

A University Place hiker who has been missing in the Cascade foothills near North Bend was found dead today.

Searchers scouring the Green Mountain area spotted his body about 3 p.m. at the 3,400-foot level.

“It looks like he more than likely fell a few hundred feet,” King County sheriff’s Sgt. Cindi West said. “We don’t know if he tripped or the slab gave way, but he didn’t survive the fall.”

The terrain in that area is punishing. There is no marked trail most of the way up the 4,600-foot peak, which includes scrambling over large talus fields and inching through snow up the steep slope.

Wright was reported missing Friday, when he failed to pick up his 10-year-old daughter. His SUV was found near the middle fork of the Snoqualmie River and searchers honed in on the Green Mountain area after another hiker reported speaking with Wright about his hiking plans.

“We believe he might have taken a new trail that was starting to be developed,” West said.

Crews are expected to use a helicopter to hoist Wright’s body off the mountain this afternoon, but are eying an approaching thunderstorm.

Wright graduated from Puyallup High School in 1980 and Western Washington University in 1986. He worked for the solid waste division at Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.

1. itwasntmethistime says:

So sad. I’ve been hoping they would find him alive and well.

2. MrMoPar426 says:

My prayers and condolences go out to John’s family and friends.

3. I don’t know this fella, but as a fellow hiker, I’m a bit saddened when something like this happens. See ya down the trail, partner.

4. dirtysoup says:

I didn’t know Mr. Wright, but I had been following this story in the hopes that there’d be a bit of good news for his family. I’m so very sorry that this was not the case.

5. PositiveNews says:

Terrible news! Thoughts and prayers to his family.

6. pungentsound says:

It’s always sad when someone dies doing what they love to do but then again there are worse way to go I guess.

7. ithsmay says:

Condolences to the family. I so hoped they’d find him alive.

8. parrot1965 says:

Dr. Wright was our pet’s veterinarian for 13 years. Great family, and such a sad, tragic event. Lifting prayers up for them for comfort.

9. uptodate says:

Really good guy. This sucks.

10. specialnews says:

Such horrible news. I’ve been following this story closely and praying for his safe return. My thoughts are with the family. Very very sad.

11. littledog says:

Come on folks. What kind of a guy goes off on a dangerous solo hike and doesn’t have the courtesy or smarts to leave a plan or even a note. I always though that was rule one. The arrogance cost tax payers how much to find and haul him out?

12. Irritated says:

Littledog, Only an idiot could be outraged by tax dollars spent in someones death. You are an idiot.

13. papasan says:

All littledog can think of is the cost to taxpayers. Talk about living DOWN to your name!
    What a Putz

14. papasan says:

Great minds DO think alike! And apparently at the same time! Thanks, irritated.

15. littledog says:

Dear name callers.

Why don’t you address what happened instead of name calling?

Somebody made some really bad decisions and died. I’m not happy that someone died but I am unhappy that we as a culture don’t use this as learning experience.

You may not like it but Darwin was right.

16. Regfool2 says:

Little dog – perhaps instead of writing in on this page, which the family will likely view, you could wait a month or so and then submit an op ed piece to the paper with constructive suggestions.

My condolences to the family.

17. MrCarleone says:

I was sincerely hopeing that this was going to have a happy ending !

My sincere condolences to the family’s !

18. Irritated says:

Littledog- What happened is you were an idiot. I wasn’t calling you names, I was describing you.

BTW, The hiker was a tax payer and I’d be willing to bet he’s paid far more than you have.

Get over yourself. I’m sure if this was your spouse you wouldn’t have paid for the search out of your own pocket. You too would have called upon authorities because-that’s the kind of thing we pay taxes for.

Now, next time you head out, make sure you leave a detailed note behind to let everyone know exactly where you’re going and how you’re getting there- and don’t you dare stray. If you don’t, you’re an idiot AND a hypocrite.