Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Two injured in apartment, thrift store fires in Gig Harbor

Post by Alexis Krell / The News Tribune on July 3, 2012 at 6:21 am with 2 Comments »
July 3, 2012 11:02 am

Firefighters responded to two blazes in Gig Harbor last night — one at an apartment in the 5900 block of Soundview and the other at a thrift shop in the 6900 block of Kimball Drive.

Officials believe a kitchen fire caused the flames at the apartment. They responded about 11 p.m. The male occupant who tried to extinguish the blaze was found unconscious and taken to the hospital. Firefighters say he was overcome with smoke and possibly inhaled the chemical in the extinguisher.

Scott Corrigan, left, and Marcin Szczepanski of Gig Harbor rehash last night's fire and response at Peninsula Orthopedic Guild Thrift Shop on Tuesday morning. (Peter Haley/staff photographer)

The thrift store fire in the early morning injured one firefighter, who was taken to the hospital. Officials responded to the scene and found a fully involved structure fire about 1:30 a.m. Proceeds from the store benefit the Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital.

The Pierce County Fire Marshal’s office is investigating both fires.

See photos of the thrift store fire below, provided by fire officials.


Leave a comment Comments → 2
  1. catriley says:

    That’s terrible, I hope the man recovers fully. I had no idea that fire extinguisher foam was a risk.

    As for the thrift shop. They were burglarized recently, so I don’t doubt that someone hit it again, then started a fire to cover it up. If that is the case, then that is the lowest of the low.. to destroy something that benefits sick children.

  2. redcabin says:

    This thrift shop is such a win-win, for Mary Bridge, and for many in the area that can’t even afford Goodwill’s prices. High quality used clothing and miscellaneous at incredibly low prices. Wonderful volunteer sales ladies. Such a loss to the community. I hope a generous donor will come forward to replace this building.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0