In advance of the Fourth of July, the Office of the State Fire Marshal has released a checklist for how to tell the difference between illegal and legal fireworks.
The highlights include:
Top signs that your fireworks may be illegal:
- They weren’t purchased from a licensed fireworks stand.
- They aren’t packaged in bright colors and have safety warnings on the packaging.
- The packaging doesn’t indicate the country of manufacture.
- It’s not wrapped in bright colorful paper, typically wrapped with plain brown paper.
- It’s a solid red, silver or brown in color.
- It resembles a roll of coins with a fuse coming out the side.
- If it looks homemade, i.e., wrapped in electrical tape or fuse isn’t taped down.
- The person selling you the fireworks tells you they bought it in another state because of Washington fireworks laws.