Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Two injured after SUV plows into Tacoma Food Co-Op

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on May 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm with 25 Comments »
June 1, 2012 7:34 am

Update:
I just got off the phone with the manager of the store. He said they will open at 8 a.m. The side entrance will be in use. They worked through the night cleaning up and boarding over the front of the store. The photos are taken (with permission) from their Facebook page. Here.

At least two people were injured tonight after a woman apparently suffered a medical event and drove her SUV into the Tacoma Food Co-Op, 3002 6th Ave.

The incident occurred at 7:45 p.m.

Henri Parren, the co-op’s general manager, said a woman appeared to pass out behind the wheel and then drove straight through the front door.

He was struck by the SUV while standing behind the cash register but said he is OK. Two customers, however, were injured and taken away in an ambulance.

“I initially didn’t think she was going to come all the way but she came full speed at 35 mph,” Parren said. “Then I thought she would hit the brakes but she didn’t.”

1. PuppyDogsButterflies says:

hope everyone is ok!

2. moreplentyn says:

My husband and I witnessed this, it was pretty scary.

3. m9078jk3…You could have a medical issue at any time too. Maybe they should take your license away because you are an accident waiting to happen.

4. wildcelticrose says:

Let’s lighten up on the driver…

No one knows what happened to her yet or if she had a diagnosed medical issue that would lead anyone to believe that she shouldn’t drive.

Accidents like this are often caused by a stroke or heart attack (which are often the first “symptoms”)

As far as we know, she is a victim as well.

5. m9078jk3 says:

“The driver’s license application (First time and renewal) asks the applicant whether he or she has, in the past six months, had a loss of consciousness or control which could impair his or her ability to operate a motor vehicle. Applicants who answer “Yes” to f this question must have a medical evaluation form filled out by their physician.

What other ways does the state have to find out about people who may not be able to drive safely because of a medical condition?

The state accepts reports of potentially unsafe drivers from: police officers, the courts, physicians, family members, friends, other citizens and hospitals. The licensing agency does not accept anonymous reports, and investigates all reports to ensure that enough information has been provided to clearly indicate a potential medical or physical problem. Drivers may also be required to have a medical evaluation if they have impairments which are observed by licensing agency personnel during the licensing process, or if they cause a fatality or serious injury collision.”

6. m9078jk3 – You are an idiot. I just happen to know the driver, and see her on a daily basis. I saw her literally two hours prior to the incident. Oh, and guess what – she has ZERO medical problems, and no history of medical problems. Ignorant people such as yourself should not be allowed to speak.

7. m9078jk3 says:

jhawk86 if she had passed out behind the wheel and had no medical issues as mentioned in the story that caused her to pass out she either would have fallen asleep at the wheel (still classifies legally as a loss of consciousness) or else she passed out being highly inebriated as a drunk driver in which case it would be multiple counts of vehicular assault.

8. Yes, clearly those are the only two options….. (sarcasm). She may have had a seizure and/or lost consciousness which worries me, since, like I said A.) No prior medical history and B.)I personally know her. Like “mitchk” said, you can have a medical condition at any time. Ever heard of a brain aneurysm? As far as being drunk? C’mon, buddy. That means that as soon as she got off work (somewhere around 6:30p.m.) she would’ve had to start drinking immediately, or soon, after. And I can vouch that that’s just not something she does… ever. I don’t know what kind of point you are/were trying to make with any of your comments without any facts to back it up. Sounds like you work for Fox news. In any case, just take your loss on this one and move on.

9. m9078jk3 says:

Jhawk86 I can see that this is a personal story that effects you and that you personally with human (defective) emotion lashed out at me.
    I haven’t lost anything personally by this as far as I know.Sorry if she had a medical condition possibly arise (this part removed lately from the story though).I hope that all become well in the hospital without permanent injury though in probability this is doubtful as there will be some maiming/permanent injuries likely.
    I wouldn’t have known that she got off of work either at 6:30 pm.Perhaps it could be a lack of sleep issue instead.None the less we can’t have dangerous drivers with issues driving on the roads and that’s why the law is in place just as you wouldn’t want a commercial airliner being flown by a blind pilot.

10. I always find it humorous the way the media words these articles….another giant, on the loose, dangerous SUV does it again!

Funny how they would never say, “Two injured after a Volvo plows into food co-op!!”

11. wildcelticrose says:

m9078jk3 why don’t you just give it a rest and stop frothing at the mouth until you know the facts (yes, I realize that facts are often inconvenient for some people)

One of my friends was pinned between two checkout stands and went to the hospital and I’m a member/owner in the co-op that was damaged and yet I’m able to look at it rationally and withhold judgement until the investigation is complete and the fact (you know, those inconvenient things I spoke of earlier) are in.

All you’re doing now is making your self look like an idiot (oh, but good for you, you can cut and paste irrelevant material whilst throwing a tantrum)

Jhawk86 I am very sorry that this happened to your friend and hope that she makes a full recovery. (I’m sure she also feels terrible about this)

Is she a member of our co-op?

12. itwasntmethistime says:

A heart attack or stroke would be a medical event with no warning whatsoever. It’s rare, but it happens.

13. Cerealkiller says:

Wow…. The comments here are as much a tragedy as the incident itself. Must be government workers to have so much time to bicker back and forth on this thread.

14. wildcelticrose says:

Wow,

Too bad folks don’t have to pass a psychiatric evaluation to drive ;)

No more trying to reason with a troll.

15. Jhawk86 says:

Hahah famous last words m9078jk3. I never lashed out at you. Only stated facts. I’m sorry your rebuttle failed at getting a rise out of me. You could have just bowed out silently, but you’ve cleary shown your true colors. Talking smack on the internet takes A LOT of guts……

16. buddyandelliott says:

As an EMS responder, I’ve been to several auto crashes that happened from sudden and unexpected medical events. It could happen to anyone anytime. Cardiac arrest, arrythmia, aneurysm, stroke, and a lot of other medical conditions can happen to “perfectly healthy” people more than you realize.

And please, we need a moderator here. “I hope those injured die…” Come on Trib, do your job.

17. nwcolorist says:

wildcelticrose, it would also be nice if commenters here were required to pass a psychiatric evaluation. Present company excluded.

18. My wife and mother-in-law were in the Co-op at the counter, and were actually struck by the car when it came through the front of the store. Luckily they escaped with some scrapes and bruises and were released from the ER after being assessed and treated. I know that at least two others were injured and the driver was also taken away by ambulance, but I don’t know their status and we hope they are okay. Needless to say, we are feeling very lucky that things did not turn out worse than they did.

My wife told me that it was apparent that there was some kind of medical issue with the driver. Jhawk86, we are all hoping that your friend is okay!

I spoke with Henri last last night and as far as I know, the Co-op was planning to open today. The damage to the building seemed superficial and apparently they didn’t even lose much merchandise.

19. tacomajoe says:

I heard that she was trying to be first in the store for the liquor, because the News Tribune said people are hoarding booze.

20. wildcelticrose says:

Schmit,

I haven’t heard anything about the driver, but the gentleman who was transported to the hospital had some bad bruising and a gash on his leg, but is at home are resting as well as can be expected.

He should make a full recovery.

21. bsenseless says:

oh man. tacomajoe. thank you.

22. dirtydan54 says:

I was spotted walking along 6th ave and Junette last night when a reader that was offended by my comments and took aim at me. Missed me

23. Bettina21 says:

That is just too crazy! I was actually going to swing by their last night, but realized I only had a few minutes left before they closed for the day. I hope that everyone is doing alright though. And for those of you who don’t know your cars very well (Volvo?!) it is a Toyota RAV4.

24. Bettina21 tries to correct with, “And for those of you who don’t know your cars very well (Volvo?!) it is a Toyota RAV4.”

Obviously that comment was directed at my earlier post which poked fun at the media for always making a big deal out of SUVs

Had you comprehended my clear comment Bettina21, you might have recognized it for what it was.

That’s something I find humour with as well…..No matter what you post in these comment threads, there are always going to be someone or two or three, who will desperately try to pick it apart to make something out of nothing. I suppose it makes them feel somehow superior or important. ;)

Now then, seeing as how Bettina clarified for us that it was a Toyota Rav….Well, chock up another booboo for the media…..A Toyota Rav4 isnt even an SUV!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

25. johnnywombat says:

At the end of the day, I am just relieved that everyone will be okay. Pretty scary stuff…