Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Firefighter injured, pets killed in Key Peninsula house fire

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on May 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm with 2 Comments »
May 10, 2012 4:06 pm

A Key Peninsula firefighter suffered dehydration this morning while battling a house fire, and two pets were killed before crews doused the flames.

The blaze was reported at 11:10 a.m. at a home on 195th Avenue (Key Peninsula South). A single firefighter arrived 12 minutes later and found heavy smoke coming from the eaves. He also spotted flames in the living room, according to the Key Peninsula Fire Department.

Three more firefighters arrived at 11:24 a.m. and began trying to suppress the blaze. It took nearly 20 minutes for neighboring fire districts to arrive and assist.

The home is considered a total loss, fire officials said.

Fire Chief Tom Lique said this is the third fire in three weeks that the agency hasn’t been able to fight properly due to a personnel shortage.

The Board of Fire Commissioners is considering putting a levy on the November ballot to fund eight new firefighter positions. The levy would cost the owner of a $225,000 home an extra $7.70 each month, the department said.

A 6 p.m. meeting will be held May 22 at the Key Center Fire Station, 8911 Key Peninsula Highway North, Lakebay, to discuss the matter.

Leave a comment Comments → 2
  1. How about we find out the cause of the fires first, before we decide that more firefighters are needed. If these are tweaker houses, then I fail to see why upstanding homeowners and landlords should be made to pay for others deliberate bad deeds.

  2. alindasue says:

    pgroup,

    You did read the article, right? It took nearly 10 minutes for even one fire fighter to arrive and another 14 minutes after that for the crew to equal a basic four man crew.

    I don’t know if you live in that area, but would you really want it to take emergency crews the better part of a half hour before they can even begin to rescue you or your home? That time could easily mean the difference between life and death for someone.

    Very few fires are started by “tweakers”. Most are caused by things like kitchen accidents or faulty wiring. $7 or $8 per month is a small price to pay for having firefighters there in time to save lives and possibly homes.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0