Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Officers search for gunman after shots fired at Tacoma home

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on April 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm with 12 Comments »
April 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Tacoma police are searching for a man suspected of firing a gun several times at another man this morning in the Hilltop area.

No one was shot during the ordeal, police spokesman Mark Fulghum said. Officers have an idea of who they are looking for, he added.

The incident began just before 10:30 a.m. when Tacoma police officers were called to a disturbance at a home in the 900 block of South Sprague Avenue.

The victim and a woman had gone to the home as a follow-up to an incident from Monday night, Fulghum said.

One of the people inside the house took offense after the man showed up. Words, then punches were exchanged at the South Sprague Avenue house.

As the victim and woman left three minutes later, a man from the house fired several shots at their vehicle.

The victim drove off. The shooter got into a different vehicle with a few others and followed the victim, Fulghum said.

In the area of South Eighth and Ferry streets, the gunman fired more shots at the victim’s vehicle.

The vehicle was hit. The occupants were cut by glass but were not otherwise injured, Fulghum said.

Officers connected with the victim and his passenger. They were searching for the gunman.

At one point, several Tacoma police cars were parked along Sprague Avenue outside the house where the initial shooting took place. An officer was seen walking around with a rifle.

1. Is the Hilltop of the 1980’s and 90’s making a resurgence?

2. skippythedog says:

Hilltop? Give the other guy a gun. Lock ‘em up together in the house.

3. tacomagirle says:

The Hilltop of the 80’s and 90’s is not coming back. I live less than a block from here. Every one on our street knows each other and watches out for each other. I have never felt unsafe and I still don’t despite the shooting. Bad things happen all the time some times they happen in an area that used to have a lot of crime. Doesn’t mean anything.

4. boonewrites says:

I didn’t know anything west of Sprague was considered “Hilltop.”

5. Another day in the ‘Dirty City’!

6. JimmyJames says:

Years from now people will look back on all the violence that is occurring in the world and they will say “didn’t they know that refined sugar creates violent actions in people?” ,..or something simple like that. Like not knowing mosquitoes carried malaria and thinking it was a nighttime disease. Something is causing people to loose their center.

7. srvivinglife says:

WHAT are you talking about?!! Don’t you know it’s common knowledge that food has NO effect on us at all….ESPECIALLLY behavior….geeeeez…….Why do you think the school food is so full of sugar and food dye’s and fake meat? Certainly NOT because it has any effect on behavior. I mean, if that’s the case, all they would have to do is feed them healthy food and behavior problems may resolve. NO WAY….I don’t believe it…..next you’re gonna say fast food is bad……bwaAAahahahahaaa

8. srvivinglife says:

WHAT are you talking about?!! Don’t you know it’s common knowledge that food has NO effect on us at all….ESPECIALLLY behavior….geeeeez…….Why do you think the school food is so full of sugar and food dye’s and soy? Certainly NOT because it has any effect on behavior. I mean, if that’s the case, all they would have to do is feed them healthy food and behavior problems may resolve. NO WAY….I don’t believe it…..next you’re gonna say fast food is bad……bwaAAahahahahaaa

9. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

I have lots of sugar.
    I have never shot anyone.
    Your argument is invalid.

10. serendipity says:

Jimmy, we have too many guns. Just too many guns. In addition to this, we have a class split that is dividing this nation into two halves. Instead of collectively pulling together, we are shooting at each other.

Lend a hand, everyone. Share. Care. Please don’t shoot!

11. ItalianSpring says:

At least there weren’t any fires and that ain’t bad.

12. Christ4tacoma says:

I was the “victom” i know who the shooter is… I also know why he was shooting… It was not just one shooter. This inccident was gang related and was bc of one mans foolish foolish pride. Thanks smoke for the sucker punch and broken nose… You sure are a tough guy… Smoke or blank potts bucked 3 or 4 shots from his compact .40 cal at me before i walked east across sprague to talk to the man who lives in the house where this took place. I was unarmed and smoke pistol whipped me when i was tslking to the main guy. He broke my nose and we fiught for a minute i then walked across the street and opened my trunk…. (smile) i decided against that bc there were too many bloods out and surrounding me. So i got my friend jumped in the car and they started shooting. While ducking and still driving a white ford focus hatch back smashed up on me along with smoke and his gf in their white jeep wrangler and bucked About ten or fifteen more shots at my car. They shot out my back windsheild and a bullet went through my head rest knocking the hat off my head that i was wearing. They did try to take me out… And for what?? Im not even a banger. I hope they get him if they already havnt.