UPDATED at 1:38 p.m.
Two people suffered minor injures this morning while trying to see if anyone was inside a neighbor’s house after a fire broke out on the deck.
Both were checked out by paramedics and released at the scene, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue Assistant Chief Randy Stephens said.
Neighbors spotted smoke coming from the home at 16th Avenue South and Creso Road South near Spanaway Lake just before 10:50 a.m. and 911.
A couple lives in the home with their grandchild. Two young men who live in the neighborhood thought someone was inside the home and kicked in the door, Stephens said.
They didn’t see anyone. Both suffered minor smoke inhalation.
Central Pierce firefighters also did a quick search of the two-story home as flames burned the back deck and kitchen area. The house was empty, Stephens said.
The woman who lives at the house arrived as firefighters worked to the control the fire. She’d gone to the store, Stephens said.
Investigators suspect discarded smoking materials left on the deck sparked the blaze. Stephens said the family will not be able to live in the house for the short term.
No other injuries were reported.