Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Retired cop shoots, kills alleged burglar at his South Hill home

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on April 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm with 15 Comments »
April 4, 2012 6:34 pm

A retired Puyallup police officer fatally shot an alleged burglar who broke into his South Hill home today armed with a crowbar.

The homeowner was asleep when a noise woke him about 4:20 p.m. and he discovered several people inside his house in the 14300 block of 134th Avenue East.

“They kicked the door in and got in the house,” Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said. “They probably figured they were burglarizing an empty residence.”

The retired officer told deputies he opened fire because the burglar armed with a crowbar came at him. He called 911 to report the incident after the alleged burglars – three men and one woman – fled in a maroon Chevy pickup truck.

Puyallup police were notified about 4:40 p.m. that a man had checked into the emergency room at Good Samaritan Hospital with a gunshot wound.

Officers quickly responded, believing the gunshot victim was one of the burglary suspects.

The man, who has not been identified, was pronounced dead shortly after 5 p.m.

“Officers scoured the area around the hospital and located the truck in the parking garage of Good Sam,” Puyallup police Capt. Dave McDonald said.

A male suspect in the truck and a female suspect who also went to the hospital were arrested. A fourth suspect who police believe jumped out of the truck at Jackpot Gas Station, 12714 122nd St E, has not been located.

Troyer said authorities know who the fourth suspect is and are using a K-9 team to search for him.

Detectives are sifting through the pickup truck and have found computers and other electronics believed to have been taken during another burglary, Troyer said.

1. meyerde1 says:

I guess they picked the wrong house to burglarize! Too bad the owner didn’t take out both of them. Low-life scum that live off stealing from others don’t deserve the time of day.

2. KooKooKitty says:

Good for him.
    Anyone that knows me KNOWS my home is armed. If they don’t know me and don’t belong here, they have no business rattling doors and windows or walking around the yard if I should decide to not answer my door. Remember, you are NOT obligated to answer the knock of an uninvited, unexpected person- just like choosing not to answer the phone.
    Should that uninvited, unexpected person choose to break their way in through my locked door or blocked window? SHOT is certainly the reception they should expect!!

3. Hopefully they were inside the house when shot, it can be a questionable issue under WA law as I understand it, if they were not actually in the house, unless it was self defense or defense of another’s life. There is something to the saying a man’s home is his castle, however, as I understand it, you are not allowed under the law to use deadly force solely to defend your property unless it was also to defend your or your family’s or another persons life. Obviously an intruder in your home while you are home does potentially pose a threat to your life or your family and deadly force may be justified. We need to know more details here.

4. LittleBantyRooster says:

I’m all for vigilanty force. Take them down one at a time!

5. Wrapper98439 says:

The good thing, if there is one, is that the other three will be charged with the murder of their buddy. That means many years of them not breaking into another house.

6. the3rdpigshouse says:

Congrats officer – you just helped improve the genepool!!

7. fivecardstud says:

Those are some very stupid people. Cops will shoot you for sport but you can be sure they will if you break into their house. He just put that guy out of his misery for being so dumb.

8. lovethemountains says:

I see fivecardstud has crawled out of his den.

9. truthbusterguy says:

This is a lesson for everyone. Go get a gun and some training on how to use it and defend yourself. Shoot forst and then call 911. I like this guy’s style.

10. truthbusterguy says:

This is a lesson for everyone. Go get a gun and some training on how to use it and defend yourself. Shoot first and then call 911. I like this guy’s style.

11. PuppyDogsButterflies says:

sweet!

12. condanchri says:

fivecardstud: “Cops will shoot you for sport…”

Dude, what a completely ignorant and idiotic comment. I’m sure most folks wouldn’t get past the comment above to see what other jewels of inspiration you came up with.

13. BillOReilly says:

Did the burglar have any Skittles?

14. terrysaasaa says:

Outstanding, good shooting, you should return and train new officers on the use of force.

15. HaleRevere says:

And this is why I taught my wife and kids how to safely handle firearms, effectively engage a target, know what is behind the target, and what actions to take in the event of a break-in. Just like my dad taught me and his dad before him.
    Good job to this guy!!!!!! there’s now one less dirtbag I have to worry about.