Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Lakewood Police seeking man who assaulted woman outside drugstore

Post by John Gillie / The News Tribune on March 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm with 14 Comments »
March 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Lakewood police today are looking for a young man who assaulted a woman outside a Walgreens drugstore Friday and stole her wallet.

The 29-year-old victim first encountered the man as she left her car in the store’s parking lot in the 9500 block of Bridgeport Way about 10:20 p.m.

The man asked her for a cigarette and then exposed himself and began touching his genitals. The woman rushed into the store.

Surveillance photo from outside the Lakewood Walgreens.
Surveillance photo from outside the Lakewood Walgreens.

After she finished her shopping, she checked to see if the man had left. When she didn’t see him in the parking lot, she began walking toward her car. The man had hidden behind a building pillar. He reached out and grabbed her buttocks “in an aggressive manner,” police say. She turned to confront the man.

He began running away but returned when the woman dropped her purse. He attacked her again, lifting her from behind and groping her. She struggled free and told him she was calling police. He fled the scene southbound on Bridgeport Way.

The victim and her attacker can be seen in the lower right-hand corner.
Police officers arrived and initiated a K9 track, but it was not successful in locating the suspect.

The victim described her attacker as about 20 years old, about 5 feet 10 inches tall with a slight build and black hair. He was wearing a baseball cap, a dark-colored vest and a long-sleeved shirt and jeans.

1. serendipity says:

I have been instructed by a physician to not read anymore of these stories. I did it again. Now I will have to fess up and say I am not following doctor’s orders which, thank God, does not amount to a felony crime.

2. tommy98466 says:

Did she get a chance to look at the color of his skin? Just the clothes huh…?

3. alindasue says:

tommy98466, look at the security camera pictures with the article. He has light colored skin.

4. everybodiesmom says:

I guess my question is why on earth did she not call the police or report to the store manager when he exposed himself to her while entering the store???? How stupid is he to remain there after the initial contact!

5. itwasntmethistime says:

I would have reported the guy to a store employee and asked for an escort back to my car after shopping.

6. Do people like this exist?
    What kind of existence do they have?

7. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

Much as I hate to cast doubt on a person’s story, I find it highly unlikely that someone would encounter a man doing this and just casually go about one’s shopping trip without even mentioning it to anyone.
    I can remember recently there were claims of a man throwing acid on people and it turned out to be a lie for attention.

8. ninabug04 says:

On the news she said he was a black male.

9. ptproudnative says:

that what im asking WHY DID SHE NOT TELL someone in the store instead of going out to be attacked???

10. ptproudnative says:

he is light skinned??i just dont get this story???

11. Like the others I don’t understand why she didn’t ask for help. It can be embarassing to have to do so but I think most stores would let an employee escort you to your car if you asked.

12. The point I believe that the kiddies who can’t ever shut up about race are missing is not what the color of skin was (lol it’s so funny how you people just don’t see how stupid that is…LOL it’s skin color and you all freak out…The color of skin…LOL LOL LOL) but that the TNT knows the color of skin and does not report it.

Completely irresponsible reporting not giving facts about a potential violent sex predator roaming free in our neighberhoods. Editor should be fired.

13. kpm444, and knowing the color of the skin would help you identify this man better than the photos, how?

Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, bronze, burnt umber, cocoa, cafe au lait, cafe noir, etc, etc.

What color would you assign to all the various shades we meet from day to day? I’ve never met a truly “black” person. That is a designation for census forms and government statistics and easy stereotyping.

14. I have a few comments to make. First, to everyone who left a comment about her not telling someone, I bet she regrets this decision BUT that doesn’t mean she deserved to get attacked. Yes the man was a creep but no one thinks it will go to this extreme if you watch the video he is right in front of the doors For someone that has the audacity to say that this story could be fake. Look at the video. Why would any woman lie about this and for you to question them, that is just sickening. The ignorance in people is unbelievable.

I will leave the one comment that everyone should have left…I hope and pray that this young lady is ok. This would be a scary experience for any woman and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone (or leave snide comments about the “what ifs”). I am sure this woman plays the what it’s in her head. Not only what if she would have said something but more importantly what if the guy would have continued with his attack or got the girl in a car. Shame on our society for putting the blame on the victim. I hope this creep is caught and I hope none of you ever experience such an experience.