Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Seattle defense attorney Browne to represent Afghanistan massacre suspect

Post by Adam Lynn / The News Tribune on March 15, 2012 at 12:25 pm with 11 Comments »
March 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Seattle defense attorney John Henry Browne said today he’ll represent the Joint Base Lewis-McChord staff sergeant suspected of killing 16 civilians in Afghanistan.

Browne said he talked to the soldier over the phone early this morning and is making arrangements to meet with him soon, possibly in Kuwait.

“We’re making contingency arrangements right now,” said Browne, who was at the County-City Building in downtown Tacoma on a separate matter. “We don’t know where he’s going to be tried.”

The attorney said the staff sergeant, a married father who’s trained as a sniper, asked for him specifically during talks with military officials.

“He’s from here, and he knows who I am,”  said Browne, who has represented a number of high-profile clients in the past, most recently “Barefoot Bandit” Colton Harris-Moore.

The staff sergeant is currently being represented by a military attorney, Browne added.

He declined to divulge any more information about his client or his state of mind, saying he’s worried for the safety of the soldier and his family.

Browne said he was girding himself for a case he called “more political than legal.”

1. As “lawyers” go, I’ve had a sneaking admiration for this.

2. guiltybystander says:

Where there’s a camera or a microphone, you’ll find John Henry Browne. Good attorney, but he’s right up there with Gloria Allred when it comes to attention-seeking.

3. Dave98373 says:

Get ready for the circus trial of the year.

4. jack6020 says:

He should have a good defense! The government is constantly sending the same solders back into these war zones, this puts a lot os stress on them, its a wonder more don’t snap. We shouldn’t be over there anyway!

5. The Solider will stand trial as he should, while the politicians that sent him there, enjoy their retirements.

6. Hummm, no one seems to have mentioned the Muslim Ft. Hood shooter (where the death penalty was not an option) and his trial has yet to start. Different standard?

7. Obammy says that he will get everyone tht was involved in this from commanders down. Does that mean he will go on trial also seeing as how he is suppose to be the Commander in Charge?

8. af174011493 says:

Before we acuse someone, we need to know that whole truth. It is wrong to kill anyone and if proven then he should be punished to the maximum. This young soldier could have had brain damage from previous encounters.Who really knows. May god bless his soul and let the lord be his judge.

9. serendipity says:

He deserves a good defense. How dare our military deploy him so many times and with a traumatic brain injury. On top of this, I am certain the psychological examinations prior to enlistment are shoddy at best. America is simply sending our young to slaughter and be slaughtered at this point.

Hopefully this will be a high profile case with national media attention bringing the issues forward.

Of course, it will have to be appealed as our local judges will find him guilty due to the winning pie chart issue. Or it will be a plea deal to avoid a ding on the pie chart. (I know, I am quite cynical—but that’s my unpaid job as a once semi-journalist–however, after a chat with some Seattle media folks, they agree with me about the pie chart issue)

10. CharleyLeChein says:

First, I was a soldier. I know the difference between right and wrong, I would never do anything that would cause soldiers to suffer anything that could get them killed or wounded. This SSGT did not think of this, if he had, he would not have done what he “was expected of doing”.

Im not sure why the Army did not classify him for having a Brain Injury Accident, thats what they are called. He could have gotten out of the miklitary, maybe thats another reason for the Army having to review the cases for PTSD, Madigan turned them all down! now they have to be reevaluated.

I had a Brain Injury Accident in mid November, I have to be evaluated before I should/can drive. My attention span has decreased, my reaction time has decreased, I think I can drive again, but I dont want to hurt others or myself by the changes.

I served in a few units while on active duty, and in the Reserves, I served with CSC 1/41 INFANTRY, CSC 3/67 ARMOR, FIELD STATION AUGSBURG, 60th ORD. GROUP, and a Civil Afairs company in the Reserves.

Dont be suprized when is lawyer brings proof in stating the SSGT has/had PTSD. Did the Army do CT scans, and an MRI on his BIA?

11. jrrseattle says:

Can anyone name a case that John Henry Browne has won?