UPDATE: Taylor pleaded not guilty this afternoon and was ordered jailed in lieu of $200,000 bail.
PREVIOUS POST: Pierce County prosecutors today charged a 37-year-old man with intentionally striking a woman with his pickup and attempting to kidnap her.
Andre Jones Taylor, a convicted sex offender, is to be arraigned this afternoon on charges of first-degree assault and second-degree attempted kidnapping with sexual motivation.
The 23-year-old woman was run down Feb. 17 while walking home after working the graveyard shift at a Tacoma restaurant, police said. The driver of the pickup that hit her stopped and tried to pick her up, but she screamed and a passerby intervened, authorities said.
Police were able to use a partial license-plate number to track the pickup to Taylor, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office reported in a news release. Detectives interviewed him last week, and he admitted his involvement in the incident, the news release states.
“He said he followed the victim for 10-15 minutes and thought she was ‘beautiful,'” according to the news release.
The woman, who suffered a number of broken bones, remains hospitalized.
You can read a previous story about the incident here.
Taylor was deemed a Level III sex offender – considered the most likely to re-offend – following two 1997 convictions for third-degree rape, according to court records.
He was convicted of raping two female acquaintances – one 42, the other 18 – on separate days in 1995 and 1996 and was sentenced to five years in prison.
Taylor has a history of failing to register as a sex offender and of violating the terms of his release from prison, including using marijuana, the court records show.