Two people were left without a place to stay after a fire ripped through a North End home early today.
Tacoma firefighters were called to the home in the 5000 block of North Visscher Street just before 4:20 a.m. They found heavy smoke coming from the back of the one-story home, the department reported.
They doused the flames. No injuries were reported.
Investigators suspect an electrical malfunction in a portable space heater sparked the blaze, the department reported. The fire left $35,000 in damage to the property and its contents.
Tacoma firefighters advise citizens to keep the following in mind when using space heaters:
* Use heaters with tip-over and overheat protection.
* Give heaters space. Keep them at least three feet from combustibles.
* Plug heaters directly into outlets. Do not plug them into extension cords.
* Do not leave heaters on and unattended. Turn them off.