Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Malfunctioning space heater likely sparked fire early today inside North End Tacoma home

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Jan. 13, 2012 at 11:21 am |
January 13, 2012 11:22 am

Two people were left without a place to stay after a fire ripped through a North End home early today.

Tacoma firefighters were called to the home in the 5000 block of North Visscher Street just before 4:20 a.m. They found heavy smoke coming from the back of the one-story home, the department reported.

They doused the flames. No injuries were reported.

Investigators suspect an electrical malfunction in a portable space heater sparked the blaze, the department reported. The fire left $35,000 in damage to the property and its contents.

Tacoma firefighters advise citizens to keep the following in mind when using space heaters:

* Use heaters with tip-over and overheat protection.

* Give heaters space. Keep them at least three feet from combustibles.

* Plug heaters directly into outlets. Do not plug them into extension cords.

* Do not leave heaters on and unattended. Turn them off.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.