Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Hazmat team called to Sumner business after employee gets sick

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Dec. 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm with No Comments »
December 13, 2011 7:37 pm

An employee at a Sumner business was hospitalized today after inhaling possibly hazardous chemicals, fire officials said.

The Pierce County Hazardous Materials Incident Team was called to Northwest Health Care Linen at 3107 142nd Avenue East just before noon after a worker became ill while handling linens from a hospital.

The hazmat team evacuated nearby businesses as a precaution and investigated the scene.

East Pierce Fire & Rescue Chief Jim Jaques said the illness was likely caused by several mop heads coated with cleaning chemicals.

The chemicals were sent to the Department of Ecology to be analyzed.

Leave a comment Comments
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0