Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Hazmat team called to Sumner business after employee gets sick

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Dec. 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
December 13, 2011 7:37 pm

An employee at a Sumner business was hospitalized today after inhaling possibly hazardous chemicals, fire officials said.

The Pierce County Hazardous Materials Incident Team was called to Northwest Health Care Linen at 3107 142nd Avenue East just before noon after a worker became ill while handling linens from a hospital.

The hazmat team evacuated nearby businesses as a precaution and investigated the scene.

East Pierce Fire & Rescue Chief Jim Jaques said the illness was likely caused by several mop heads coated with cleaning chemicals.

The chemicals were sent to the Department of Ecology to be analyzed.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.