An employee at a Sumner business was hospitalized today after inhaling possibly hazardous chemicals, fire officials said.
The Pierce County Hazardous Materials Incident Team was called to Northwest Health Care Linen at 3107 142nd Avenue East just before noon after a worker became ill while handling linens from a hospital.
The hazmat team evacuated nearby businesses as a precaution and investigated the scene.
East Pierce Fire & Rescue Chief Jim Jaques said the illness was likely caused by several mop heads coated with cleaning chemicals.
The chemicals were sent to the Department of Ecology to be analyzed.