Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Witnesses sought in deadly crash on I-5 Wednesday night

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:31 am with 11 Comments »
September 30, 2011 2:39 pm
The stolen pickup truck involved in the deadly crash/Courtesy of WSPORIGINAL POST:

UPDATE as of 2:35 p.m.: The driver has been identified as William R. Barnes Jr., a 35-year-old Olympia resident.

ORIGINAL POST:

Washington State Patrol investigators are looking for anyone who witnessed the events leading up to a fatal crash late Wednesday in the northbound lanes of Interstate 5 near Nisqually.

A man driving a stolen pickup truck was speeding north on I-5 about 11:10 p.m. A trooper watched as the driver used the shoulder to pass a semi truck.

The driver then cut in front of the truck at Marvin Road, forcing the semi truck driver to brake to avoid a crash, the State Patrol reported.

The trooper pulled from the shoulder into traffic and caught up to the pickup truck. The trooper activated his emergency lights and sirens to initiate a stop.

The pickup truck drove partially on the right shoulder, then swerved to avoid a DOT sign. The truck went across all lanes of traffic, then rolled off the highway and into the median just south of Mounts Road.

The driver, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected and died at the scene. His name has not yet been released.

The State Patrol’s Major Accident Investigation Team is investigating the crash.

Detectives ask anyone who spotted the events leading up to the pursuit or the crash to call 360-805-1192 or 360-805-1160.

1. GiveItaRest says:

Why isn’t the trooper a good enough witness? Is there some concern that the trooper might have done something inappropriate during the pursuit?

2. “Is there some concern that the trooper might have done something inappropriate during the pursuit?”

More likely just standard procedure to interview all witnesses to a fatality accident.

3. lakewoodbrian says:

I could have sworn that when this story was first reported there was talk of the guy being a DOC escapee. What’s the scoop on that?

4. Rational says:

The semi driver probably started it all by tailgating the guy in the pickup.
    I drive I-5 Northbound every week and am getting sick and tired of speeding semi-truck drivers less than one car length behind me when I’m doing the speed limit in the right lane. Of course all the WSP can do is put up signs that tell the rest of us not to cut too closely in front of truck drivers. As far as I’m concerned the semi-truck drivers AND the WSP can kiss my ***.

5. jofish10 says:

As I said before, what a sad story, my heart goes out to the pickup owner. Such a waste. On the plus side, there’s one less car thief in this world. I’m also great full that no innocent people were harmed.

6. II drive on I-90 to Cheney and Ellensburg at least 8 times a year to drop off and pick up my sons from college. On each trip, I witness numerous drivers that are either stupid andd think that these truks can stop on a dime. For one reader to assume that the whole thing was started by a trucker is incredibly naive. I’ve seen drivers stay in the left (PASSING) for miles leaving no place for other drivers to pass. If you are in the far right lane and doing the posted speed, you shouldn’t have a problem. If you ARE harassed, try to note the name of the trucking co. and the plate number of the truck. When it’s safe to do so, (NOT while driving) contact the State Patrol AND the trucking company.
    Remember always that truckers have an incredibly difficult job to do. Avoiding drivers that cut them off, navigating city streets, being on time with there load, sleep deprivation, etc, etc. They do this making a very modest living. If you need to pass them, use your turn signals, give them plenty of room and stay out of their blind spots. Their job is hard enough without having to avoid some bozo passing them on the right.

7. He was probably taking the truck to the chop shop in Puyallup. It would be interesting to know what kind of priors the deceased had.

8. Regfool2 says:

pawl says:
    September 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm

====================================
    and even more likely to have something to slap down his family’s efforts at suing the government should they decide to take the “he didn’t do anything wrong, he’s the victim” approach that so many do.

9. Alaska47 says:

That`s a shame that the theif destroyed that Chevy truck.I would hope that the owner of the truck gets reimbursed prior to any money being spent on the theif`s funeral.When the name of the deceased is released,I would bet money that this isn`t his first crime.Odds of re-offending- 0%.

10. grumpyoldman says:

BASED ON THE COMPLETELY BALD FRONT TIRE IN THE PICTURE , THE THIEF WAS NOT OF THE BRIGHTER SIDE OF SOCIETY, STEALING A TRUCK WITH TIRES THAT BAD INDICATES THE TRUCK MAYBE IN POOR CONDITION AS WELL, TIRES THAT BALD MEANS THAT MORE THAN TIRES ARE LIKELY TO BE OVER LOOKED IN THE MAINTENANCE AREA. IN THIS DOWN ECONOMY THINGS GET PUT OFF, AND HIGH SPEED MANEUVERS ON BALD TIRES IS ALWAYS A KILLER. AND AS FOR THE SEMI HAVING ANY CAUSE IN THIS, IT IS MORE LIKELY HE WAS A VICTIM OF THE DEAD IDIOT AS WELL. WHEN IDIOTS DRIVE BADLY AROUND SEMI’S, THE TRUCK DRIVER’S NERVES ARE PUT THROUGH HELL FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT !!

11. Alaska47 says:

Did anybody find out what this clod`s name is?