Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Charges filed against man in death of teen found in trash can

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Sep. 9, 2011 at 7:41 am with 23 Comments »
September 12, 2011 6:41 am

UPDATE as of 3:35 p.m.

Not guilty pleas were entered on Clark’s behalf during his arraignment this afternoon.

Superior Court Judge Beverly Grant set bail at $2 million.

UPDATE as of 12 p.m.

Photo of Devondre Davis that is posted on a Facebook page to remember him

Pierce County prosecutors have charged Anthony T. Clark with first-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.

Clark, 20, is expected to be arraigned at 3 p.m. today, according to the Pierce County Superior Court website.

Prosecutors allege Clark shot  16-year-old Devondre Davis in the back of the head on Wednesday.

Detectives found a blood stain on the floor near a bedroom closet in Clark’s apartment in the 500 block of East 36th Street. They also found a bloody shirt and bloody towel and a shell casing. They located a gun in the toilet tank.

Clark gave conflicting statements about what happened in the apartment and to Davis.

According to court documents, he initially said he didn’t know why he was arrested. He later said he’d shot Davis but it was an accident.  He then told detectives that Davis had arrived at the apartment with rock cocaine and a gun. Clark said Davis was near the bedroom closet because they were looking for Clark’s mother’s jewelry to steal and sell.

Before the police arrived at the apartment, Clark told witnesses that he lured Davis to his house because he believed Davis had “beat up his baby’s momma,” charging documents state.

UPDATED as of 11:05 a.m.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the the 16-year-old boy found slain in a garbage bin on Tacoma’s East Side this week as Devondre D. Davis.

The 20-year-old Tacoma man suspected of fatally shooting Davis in the head is expected to make his first court appearance today. The man was booked early Thursday into jail on suspicion of first-degree murder.

Tacoma police arrested the man Wednesday after he asked some neighbors if he could put a dead body in their trash can in an alley in the 500 block of East 36th Street. The neighbors reported the encounter to officers, who found Davis’ body.

The man provided detectives with several versions of what happened. A motive for the slaying hasn’t been released.

Comments → 23
  1. stealth says:

So did the neighbors give him permission to put the body in their trashcan or what???

2. Anfrony has some serious issues

3. robomelo says:

Even if he was a gang member, this was still a 16 yr old child. WE HAVE ALL MADE MISTAKES, WE ARE NOT PERFECT, and nobody deserves to die like this. this boy still had a mother and family that loved him–gang member or not. his mother was probably waiting for him to outgrow this stage of his life. now she will never get that. leaving your rude comments is disrespectful to his family. no mother should have to go through this, my heart goes out to her.

4. guidocarmasi says:

how does one know that it is a gang picture. It looks like a picture of a little boy. nothing more nothing less

5. Just an FYI … Tacoma police do NOT believe this homicide was gang motivated.

6. gonefishin69690 says:

Ok Stacey, I’ll retract my statement for now, but looking at the FB pic, this kid is either a gang member, or a wanna be. Also, didn’t I read in an earlier article that the initial investigation was performed by the gang task force? Not being sarcastic here, but I thought I had read something to that effect.

7. gonefishin69690 says:

….and BTW, you guys did the right thing by not posting the whole pic.

8. gonefishin: You are correct in recalling that the gang unit was involved initially. However, that was happenstance. On Wednesday, the neighbors had left the apartment complex and spotted members of the gang unit a half mile away. The gang unit was on an unrelated call when the neighbors reported the body. The gang unit then responded to the apartment complex.

9. gonefishin69690 says:

K, sad none the less.

10. allforone says:

FIRST OFF THEY ARE WRONG ON WHAT THEY ARE REPORTING!… NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY WHEN SOMEONE DIES, IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY ARE IN A GANG OR NOT, HE WAS STILL A CHILD, HE STILL WAS IN SCHOOL, HE STILL COULD HAVE CHANGED, HE PERSONALLY NEVER HURT ANYONE,NO ONE HAS PROOF HE WAS IN A GANG. HIS MOTHER STILL HAS NO SON, HIS FAMILY HAS STILL LOST A CHILD ALL BECAUSE SOME DUMB B.S…. HE DIDNT DIE DUE TO HIS GANG ACTIVITY HE DIED DUE TO A SAD PERSONS ACTIONS. NOONE KNOWS IF THE DRUGS EVEN BELONG TO THE LITTLE BOY

SECOND OFF…
    ANTHONY NEVER ASKED TO “PUT THE BODY IN THE TRASH CAN”.

ANTHONY HAS MAJOR ISSUES AND HE ALWAYS HAS, HE HAS NO BABYS MAMA OR CHILDREN ON THE WAY HE JUST SAID THAT SO THAT HE COULD JUSTIFY WHAT HE DID.

THE POEPLE WHO CALLED THE COPS NEVER HEARD A GUN SHOT THEY HAD THEIR MUSIC UP AND HEARD A POP LIKE A FIREWORK AND DIDNT THINK ANYTHING OF IT. THEN ANOTHONY SAW THE WITNESS AND ASKED HER IF SHE KNEW HOW TO GET RID OF A BODY BUT SAID IT CAMLY SO THEY THOUGHT HE WAS PLAYING UNIT SHE WENT TO DUMP HER TRASH AND HE SHOWED HER THE BODY IN THE OTHER CAN!

SHE THEN GATHERED EVERYONE OUT OF HER HOUSE AND WENT TO THE LOCAL PARK TO CALL THE COPS AND SAY A DRUG BUST GOING ON AND FLAGGED DOWN THE COP AND TOLD HIM. THEY DISBATCHED A COP TO THE HOUSE AND FOUND THE BODY AND ARRESTED ANTHONY.

11. 4one…thanks.

12. goldenfresh says:

idk how people can say he’s a bad kid when they dont even know him… i personaly went to school with him and he wasnt a bad kid just hung out with the wrong people…

13. steilacoomtaxpayer says:

All40ne, spadger, he was a young criminal. He now no longer threatens the community.

14. toniintacoma says:

AND EVEN THOUGH THAT IS A GANG PICTURE THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE STILL WASNT A YOUNG BOY WITH HIS WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF HIM. THIS WASNT A PICTURE HIS FAMILY CHOSE FOR THEM TO POST, JUST THE MOST CONVEINENT ONE TO FIND, HE STILL DESERVED A LIFE & A CHANCE TO CHANGE & ANTHONY STOLE THAT FROM HIM, ONLY GOD CAN DECIDE WHEN ITS SOMEONES TURN TO DIE I HOPE HE ROTTS IN THAT SELL LIKE HE DESERVES!!!!!!!

15. allforone says:

ANY* NEGITIVE PICS

16. allforone says:

MY CONDOLENCES GOES OUT TO HIS MOTHER, FATHER, FAMILY, FRIENDS AND ANYONE WHO HAD ANY CONTACT WITH THIS YOUNG MAN… MAY YOUR SOULD REST IN PIECE AND MAY YOUR MOTHER REMEMBER THE BLESSED GOOD TIMES SHE HAD WITH YOU! IM SORRY OUR WORLD AND COMMUNITY IS FILLED WITH SUCH HATE AND VILE PEOPLE, YOU WILL BE MISSED YOUNG MAN… YOUR FAMILY WILL CELEBRATE YOUR LIFE AND CRY FOR A PERSON GONE TO SOON..IDK KNOW HIM BUT I WOULD NEVER WANT TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE I KNOW

17. toniintacoma says:

THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED IM SURE THEY COULD HAVE GOTTEN THEIR HANDS ON A GOOD PICTURE THEY JUST WANT TO JUSTIFY THIS CRIME & ITS NOT RIGHT

18. allforone says:

@ toniintacoma ok sorry then.. i agree people are so rude they dont get it..

no one is god no one has the right to say who,when, or why someone dies! if someone old dies you dont say ehh they were old who cares.
    same should be with anyone else yes Anthony should get life just like anyone else who takes someones life or commits a crime.
    death should not be a punishment … nor should it be dismissed or thought of as ok as long as they deserved it

19. sgadber says:

I am sorry if by pointing out the fact that NewsTribune posted a gang posing picture this morning I might have made it worse. I looked at the article this morning and the picture was not cropped, but revealed his rag and his gang sign. I accused the editors of fanning the flames, knowing very well that there is a lot of people that post hateful stuff in the anonymity of this forum. Hateful stuff, and I am feeling for the family, so sad, the event and the circumstances leading to the event. Yesterday some very disturbed people posted jokes about this!!!! Jokes!!!! so i see the picture and I already know the same kind of people are going to go on about how he deserved to die, because they always do when something like this happens. though I can’t figure out how that feels good. maybe their lives are so void of meaning? Okay, so I tell them, they crop it, so you can’t see the rag and the sign looks harmless, but they left my comment now telling the world that the boy was posing. and the usual heartless remarks came anyway…. Dear family of the deceased, and family of the accused, there are no winners and I am sad for your loss. I am not fond of gangs, and afraid of their attraction to the young ones, and realistically aware of how their presence poses a risk to me and my family. I am able to seperate this fear from the fact that the people in gangs are still people, capable of change, never all good or all bad, with mothers. People.

20. paulkathyann says:

Sounds like everyone who actually knew him thought he was a sweet young kid. His life had immense value to many people. The rude people should delete their posts.

21. stopracistsnow says:

The racists commenting approve of the harm, injury or death of a person because of their social differences, ethnicities, and race. You believe the death of a child is acceptable, unless it’s a child that is like you. You don’t believe in the rights of others if you can’t benefit from it. You are afraid to put your real name on your racists and prejudiced rants so your family, friends and coworkers won’t know how bigoted you are. Read this and continue to justify your behavior if you’re not ready to acknowledge your racist, prejudiced, backwards thinking.
    Signed, you local African American, Native American, Muslim, LGBQ community member.

22. Regfool2 says:

Having read the above, I offer the following: Condolences to the family on the loss of their young man. My prayers are with you.

I wish young people could see there’s no benefit to being in gangs. It’s about money, and power, and rarely are the young people who die because of their gang affiliations benefitting from this kind of money and power. Saying gangs have always been here and it’s a fact of life is perhaps true. What isn’t true, however, is that one has to JOIN them. Stop being a potential victim, and stop putting the hearts of your friends and family on the line. You join a gang? You’re making the conscious decision that one day, they may be attending your funeral way before they should have to. You are all God’s beloved children. Find the courage within yourself to make better choices.Remember, when one lies down with dogs, one can expect to arise with fleas. Do so, and you MUST take responsibility for your choice. You can’t say you’re in charge, and play the victim when the consequences of your choices come back to you. None of us can care more about your life than you should. Life is a gift – you get one shot at it. Choose wisely. My heart aches for you all.

23. LAdams48 says:

No matter what the reason…a “16yr old” is dead….at the hands of a young man with what appears to be hate for “something or someone”! We all ask “WHY”….til the end of time, and still not get the true answer! From what I’ve read here…the guy that murdered the 16yr old….didn’t have a “baby mama” to begin with…WHY did he say that?? Probably to make the crime appear to be more of a guy who was being “supportive” of his “baby momma”? Well, we all know now that this is not true!!! I wonder what his next “truth” will be? If indeed he is mentally ill, he belongs in a long term mental health care facility…not prison, although I doubt that’s the case!
    I also want to say to both sets of parents…first to the 16yr old’s family…I am so sorry for your loss! As much as we try as parents, we can not always stop al the bad things that happen to our kids!! My heart goes out to you!!!! :-)

To the parents of Anthony Clark….
    I feel for your family just as I do for the family of the boy your son murdered! Your son is a human being and I truly hope he gets the help he needs…and hope he has a future that he can be proud of, because even in prison, he can choose the life he lives! I know that, because I have 2 family members in Oregon prisons….for different crimes, but no the less….they are in prison and they choose who they want to be friends with, for the most part…..so I know it can be done. :-)
    Anyway, I just want to say how very sorry I am for your family as well, because I’m quite sure your son was loving to you….what he did elsewhere has nothing to do with his love of family….I assume. :-) My heart goes out to you! :-)