Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Trio sought for assaulting 71-year-old bicyclist from moving car

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on July 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm with 14 Comments »
July 6, 2011 3:06 pm

Pierce County sheriff’s deputies are searching for three people who hung out the windows of a moving car Saturday to assault a 71-year-old bicyclist in Puyallup.

Witnesses saw three people inside a four-door sedan driving in the 12800 block of Pioneer Way East. Just before 3 p.m., the driver veered off the road to move closer to a bicyclist who was traveling in the same direction.

A woman in the front seat and a passenger in the back leaned out and began hitting and pushing the bicyclist, who lost control and crashed.

The victim, a Redmond man, was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with serious head and internal injuries. Witnesses said he was wearing a helmet.

Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and charges of the three suspects.

The woman in the front passenger seat was 18-25 and had strawberry-blond hair in a ponytail. The driver was described as a white man between the ages of 16-20. The only detail witnesses noticed about the back-seat passenger is that he or she had short hair.

1. Hans Zeiger country

2. surveyor1 says:

Ohh, tough people! Basically you have a trio of young people who have nothing better to do with there time than assualt people. Sorry, but the three of you need to be put in jail for a good long time, but we all know if you are caught, you will get a slap on the hand and will be back to your usless lives in no time flat.

3. gonefishin69690 says:

Oh how I wish I was behind them. I think crimes like this are the most frustrating. Nothing to be gained, just senseless violent acts. I hope “they” catch these punks. And I don’t mean the cops.

4. lovethemountains says:

gonefishin, I also wish I had been behind the car. Although, I would probably now be in jail charged with vehicular assault for having performed a pit maneuver on the suspect vehcile.

5. WarmNfuzziOne says:

When they catch them, it’ll be a slap on the wrist. The court will accept that they had no intention of actually hurting the person. What crap!

6. this is sooo messed up for these kids to do to this poor elderly person…big shame on them..i pray for this mans recovery and hope they catch these screwed up people

7. ValleyTarts says:

The last time a motorist clobbered a cyclist in Puyallup, the police cited the cyclist. But then again, the car was driven by a senior employee at Puyallup City Hall.

8. GrandMaster says:

Great way to make $1,000.00 dollars! Too bad they cannot offer 10 or 20 thousand dollars. I hope they are caugtht and charged with felonies.

9. flyingdutchman says:

I was riding my bicycle one time along Stewart going toward River Road and someone pelted me with a grapefruit while driving in the same direction I was going. Real losers, these people.

10. janemckane says:

Takes a real loser to be capable of something like this. Hope they catch them, though they will probably cry their little punk hearts out in jail. Real easy to be tough in a moving car kiddos.

11. come on..just kids havin fun..leave them alone

12. The black pickup truck raised with 4X4 mentality driven by 25 y/o
    white kids with neo-fascist ideology is common in Puyallup. If the police would just check how high the bumper is from the ground the
    dim bulb drivers would settle down. In this case they were driving
    their mommas car.

13. thegurl says:

I AM DISGUSTED. This in my eyes is attempted murder. A squirt gun is having fun not physically attacking someone. This is beyond parenting. You either have compassion or you don’t. These 3 obviously are sociopaths and need severe intervention before they murder someone….. So sick and sad.

14. come on kids just having fun????for real?wow like some one said playing with a squirt gun is fun not breaking a elderly persons pelvis and leaving him there hurt on the side of the road…..