Kent firefighters were investigating what sparked a blaze near the loading dock of the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent on Thursday night.
Officers in the building, 620 W. James St., spotted smoke and flames about 9 p.m. and called 911. The building’s alarm system also had activated.
Crews discovered the flames were in or near the ducting for the large, commercial, natural gas-powered clothes dryers in the laundry area, Kent firefighters reported.
The blaze burned the insulation surrounding the ducts. No injuries were reported.
The inmates in the jail were not impacted or evacuated, firefighters reported.
Fans were used to clear smoke from the western portion of the building.