Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Crews battle fire at Point Defiance Pagoda structure

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on April 15, 2011 at 5:49 am with 24 Comments »
April 15, 2011 2:19 pm

UPDATE as of 12:10 p.m.:  Investigators now say the fire is “suspicious in origin,” Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

A Tacoma police detective and forensic specialists have responded to the Pagoda to investigate further.

Investigators will be looking at whether the fire is related to a break-in at the Pagoda last week or small fires set in the park over the past couple of weeks, Fulghum said.

The fire is now out.

An early morning fire has damaged the iconic, nearly 100-year-old Pagoda structure inside Point Defiance Park but Metro Parks officials believe the brick building can be repaired.

It will just take awhile, though exactly how long will not be known until inspectors can get into the building to assess the damage. The building is insured.

“We need some time to gather more information,” said Marina Becker,  who manages operations and maintenance for Metro Parks. “We are going to carefully get our instructions from the fire department.”

Meanwhile, Metro Parks events staff were already working to move events planned for the building, including a wedding tonight.

“I think this is going to affect a lot of people directly because this is their rental but also a lot of people indirectly because it’s our heritage,” Becker said.

The fire damage was concentrated on the building’s southern end, where the kitchen was located. Fire crews were pulling clay tiles off the roof at that end and using chainsaws to to ventilate the structure. The windows were tinted from the smoke damage.

“We’ll come back,” Metro Parks Commissioner Tim Reid said as he watched firefighters work on the roof as white smoke continued to billow out.

The entrance to the park has been closed to cars as fire crews continue to work on the Pagoda. Other parts of the park, including the zoo, were open.

“It’s been a substantial fire,” Tacoma fire spokesman Joe Meinecke said.

Crews were called to the building at 4:25 a.m. after a Metro Parks garbage worker spotted the fire. When firefighters arrived, they found the building “fully charged with smoke,” Meinecke said.

The fire was upgraded to a second alarm, bringing more fire crews to the scene, at 4:45 a.m.

Meinecke said there were flames throughout the basement and the main hall. Firefighters got the bulk of the fire out after about an hour but were continuing to work on hot spots in the wood-frame roof. They were pulling off the original clay tiles on the roof to get at the spots, making Metro Parks officials cringe every time.

“When you have a historical building like this, how do you replace it?” Reid said of the tiles.

No injuries have been reported. While a cause of the blaze is not yet known, Meinecke said there was nothing suspicious about the fire early in the investigation.

There was a wedding rehearsal in the Pagoda on Thursday night and a wedding planned for tonight. Students from the Tacoma School District’s Science and Math Institute used the building everyday for lunch.

“It’s really sad for the whole city,” Becker said. “It’s a historic treasure.”

The Pagoda is the centerpiece of the park’s Japanese Garden. It’s a replica of a 17th century Japanese Lodge and has hosted weddings, memorial services, meetings and parties for years.

Built in 1914 by Luther Twitchell, the building originally served as a wait station for street cars. It later was a bus depot and, after it was remodeled in the 1960s, became a meeting place for garden clubs.

It’s now used for an array of activities, from weddings to memorial services, meetings and school classes. The roof was restored in the 1980s and returned to its original green color.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” said Melissa McGinnis, Metro Parks historic and cultural resource manager. “For almost 100 years, this building has been treated with respect by the community.”

It has recently been the victim of vandals, however.

Last year, thieves pried off some of the building’s original light fixtures as well as door handles and brass plates. Metro Parks officials had replicas of the light fixtures made but had not yet installed them, McGinnis said.

Last week, someone broke into the basement of the building and did some vandalism, officials said.

McGinnis wasn’t aware of any previous fires in the pagoda.

“People have just cared about this building for so long,” she said.

1. princessnancy says:

This is just horrible news! I wonder what caused it?

2. What a huge loss for the community!

3. shaboo999 says:

REALLY horrible news! Arson? I hope it can be saved/salvaged!!!

4. Omega6234 says:

Wow… what a waste. I mean it was already over budget by about 600,000 dollars… now we are going to have to spend even more on that ugly eyesore instead of fixing the roads that are filled with potholes???? This is a huge loss for the community.

5. Omega – I think you are confusing the JAPANESE pagoda that has been in Pt. Defiance for many years with the recent CHINESE structure that was gifted to the Chinese Reconciliation Park.

6. Omega6234, This in Point Defiance park, not Ruston Way.

7. Dragoonchris says:

Seriously! I Was planning to have engagement pics taken there next week.

8. It sound like arson. Its really strange a fire would start considering the weather yesterday. It was really wet. What a kook, destroying a thing of beauty like that. The pagoda is something I wouldn’t mind spending tax dollars fixing. It was a true asset to the park.

9. Omega6234 says:

DANG IT!! you all are right. My apologies.. this is truly a waste. I love that place as i run by it at least 3 times a week.

10. yabetchya says:

This is so sad ! What a beautiful place ! I hope it can be saved. I also hope all those first responders stay safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Luther_Walker says:

Maybe Aaron Artman wanted to remove the roof since it doesn’t pay for the building?

12. bobcougar says:

ugggh, I’d guess most of us have fond memories of good times in that beautiful structure.

My guess: Meth heads went after the wiring again and shorted something.

13. ashellbee1996 says:

that is where my school is! we eat/ate lunch there and i have/ had a math class there! D:

14. talesbyfirelight says:

I bet it’s arson. It’s very sad, just like what happened to Never Never Land so long ago. It’s a shame; don’t they have security that patrols the park, and if not, why not? Or police that drive through once in awhile. Most big cities protect their parks, why doesn’t Tacoma? But then, sometimes I wonder about the quality of government we have in this city, and state.

15. Kevindot1 says:

What terrible news!!

16. Traci909 says:

Wait before you lose faith in humanity. Kiro says that the fire seems to have started in the kitchen. Which could still be arson but gives me hope that it was just a boneheaded move on someone’s part. Which is still awful but I can handle that better than someone setting out to do something destructive.

17. @Omega6234 – There are a host of other locations that you could still have your pictures done at, even in that park. The bridge over in the Rose Garden is really pretty. South Park is really pretty too! i hope you find someplace that you can still have your pictures done.

18. scott0962 says:

I agree, I hope it was an accident instead of arson. I’d hate to think anyone would do that to part of Point Defiance Park. That pagoda has been a fixture there for as long as I can remember. I hope it can be saved or rebuilt, unlike some of the old eyesores the preservationists are always lobbying to save, the Japanese Pagoda was a beautiful structure that was also a functional asset to the community. I have many happy memories of events for family and friends there.

19. ncaafbfan says:

Thats sad and I hope they rebuild. One of my first thoughts too was about the upcoming summer. I know they usually book that out way in advance for weddings, and I feel really bad for people that may be affected by that.

20. Terrible news.

21. Did this building on an alarm? If not, it seems like a good idea to make sure we have alarms in all the park buildings.

22. TwoFiveThree4me says:

Seeing the picture of the pagoda on fire made me cringe. I hope it can be repaired.
    If I were the people who had the rehearsal there last night, I’d be having my fingers crossed that none of my party used the kitchen last night.

23. this is my pointless comment injecting myself into part of the story without making an actual contribution just because I really have some sort of emotional attachment to the building