Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Sentencing hearings today for two convicted in 2009 deadly robbery at Lakewood Walmart

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on April 8, 2011 at 8:24 am |
April 8, 2011 2:25 pm

A Pierce County judge will officially sentence a man to life in prison today after he was convicted of orchestrating the deadly robbery of an armored car guard at the Lakewood Walmart nearly two years ago.

Last month, a jury convicted Odies D. Walker, 43, as an accomplice of aggravated first-degree murder in the June 2, 2009, death of Kurt Husted. He also was convicted of first-degree assault, first-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery and solicitation to commit first-degree robbery

A conviction for aggravated first-degree murder yields only two possible sentences – capital punishment or life in prison without the possibility of release. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty against Walker.

Walker’s sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. today before Judge Bryan Chushcoff.

Chushcoff sentenced fellow defendant, Marshawn Turpin, to 47 years, seven months during today’s hearing. Turpin pleaded guilty in February to first-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery. He faces up to 51 years.

Prosecutors allege Walker and Turpin – along with another man and woman – carried out the deadly robbery of Husted as he picked up the day’s receipts at the Walmart store.

They contended Walker planned the robbery and recruited his cousin, Calvin Finley, and Turpin, an acquaintance, to help him commit the holdup. Walker’s then-girlfriend, Tonie Williams-Irby, worked in the store at the time and provided information about the guard’s movements and the cash receipts.

On the day of the robbery, Walker remained at the wheel of a getaway car in the parking lot, while Finley and Turpin went inside to rob Husted. Recordings from store security cameras show Finley pulling out a gun and shooting Husted in the face at close range. Turpin then grabbed Husted’s money bag as the men fled.

Finley pleaded guilty about two months after the shooting and is serving a life sentence.  Williams-Irby also pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and testified against Walker. She’s scheduled to be sentenced April 15. Prosecutors have indicated they will recommend 15 years for her.

Walker was the only one of the principal defendants in the case to go to trial.

The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for Report violators to