Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Man killed in Orting house fire identified

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Feb. 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
February 28, 2011 3:25 pm

An Orting man who died Sunday morning while trying to save his elderly mother from their burning home was identified today as 46-year-old Shane York.

After York realized their home in the 17900 block of Pioneer Way East (Highway 162) was ablaze about 7 a.m., he ran outside to alert neighbors and then returned to the burning house in an effort to rescue his mom.

Neighbors found and saved the woman but York died in the blaze.

The cause of the fire was electrical.

York apparently moved an electric hospital bed for his mother into the living room Saturday.

“He was tinkering with it, trying to get it to work,” said Paul Webb, interim Fire Chief for Orting Valley Fire and Rescue. “They determined that was the source of the fire.”

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.