Smoke alarms alerted the occupants of a Gig Harbor home to a fire early this morning and they were able evacuate without injury.
The 5 a.m. fire occurred at 6616 87TH St. NW, according to the Gig Harbor Fire Department.
A couple and their small child evacuated the home and called 911.
Battalion Chief Steve Nixon said it appeared the fire started near the front door of the home and traveled up the exterior wall into the void space between the ceiling and the roof of the structure. Firefighters were able to make a quick attack and knock down the fire, he said.
An investigator from the Pierce County Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire probably was caused by improper disposal of ashes in a container that were placed on the front porch.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
The family said they had a place to stay and it appeared they would be able to retrieve most all of their belongings from the home.
None of the 20 firefighters who responded to the fire were hurt.