Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Two students arrested in urinal explosion at Foss High School

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Jan. 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm with 11 Comments »
January 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Two 16-year-old students have been arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with an explosion in a bathroom at Foss High School on Monday, according to our news partner KIRO TV.

Both are being booked into Remann Hall in Tacoma, Mark Fulghum of the Tacoma Police Department told KIRO.

The high school  was briefly evacuated  after three students tried to flush firecrackers down a urinal in the boy’s bathroom.

Someone pulled a fire alarm about noon – during the school’s second lunch period – and a school resource officer went to investigate. Following the smell of smoke, he found the remnants of a urinal.

“It looks like some kind of fireworks in the toilet,” Fulghum said.

The bomb squad responded and officers walked the campus with a K-9 unit before allowing students back into classrooms about 1 p.m.

Three students were detained for questioning, said Tacoma Public Schools spokeswoman Stacey Flores.

1. m9078jk3 says:

Yeah I just heard that too on a online police scanner.I was listening to the TPD channels.

2. witchiwoman says:

Stadium is on lockdown too.

3. tree_guy says:

Sarah Palin must quit encouraging this sort of behavior.

4. shanmatt72 says:

Get a life Shrub_guy

5. chip98404 says:

I’ll bet the Foss administration is really p*ssed off about this! (Sorry, could not resist). Really though, pranks are pranks but this is vandalism and destruction of taxpayer-bought property and cannot be shrugged off or condoned.

6. cclngthr says:

It may come to a point where schools have to restrict students in where they go, including limiting the number in bathrooms.

7. It’s the sign of an early spring.

8. tacomakittie9 says:

Stadium gets put on lock down for everything, so that does NOT surprise me…
    But my husband had heard that the kids died..???

9. The explosion came BEFORE the alarm. I was eating my lunch, heard the explosion clearly, but figured someone “in charge” would take care of whatever it was and went back to eating. A minute later the alarm went off. Then I knew it was most likely connected. It was quite LOUD in spite of being described as “small” in the newspaper.

10. cclngthr says:

star47,
    If I am correct, the 400 hall is the same one where the SPED developmental and multi-ortho classes are located. That is quite far from the lunch area.

The open concept of Foss will make it loud.

11. So is this what the world has come to? Lock downs? Bomb Squads? Arson?

I dont condone it, but this is one of the oldest pranks in the book! Obnoxious boys have been tossing cherry bombs down toilets for generations! I wonder what the reaction is these days for “Wedgies”!!! :D

You ask me, this country needs to change from “Land of the Free” to Land of OVERREACTION!