Flames destroyed a home in south of Artondale on Thursday night when a candle in the house tipped over during a widespread power outage on the Key Peninsula.
Automatic fire alarms at the residence notified 911 of the fire and the homeowner also called 911. Crews were called to the house in the 5100 block of Cromwell Drive Southwest about 6:15 p.m. Thursday, said Nanette Tatom, a spokeswoman for Pierce County Fire District No. 5. Heavy traffic also delayed the department’s response, she said.
Tatom said crews used water tenders because there were no fire hydrants nearby. Two water tender trucks from Gig Harbor Fire and two from Key Peninsula Fire shuttled water to the scene.
A second alarm was issued because the fire threatened other buildings. Engines and other units also responded from Tacoma Fire Department, South Kitsap Fire and University Place Fire.
No one was injured in the fire, Tatom said.
The homeowner reported having candles out during the power outage. Deputy Pierce County Fire Marshal Rod Lasher determined that candle had been knocked over during the power outage and the home was a total loss.
Tatom reminded residents to use only flashlights during a power outage.