Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Man pleads guilty in Tacoma gang case

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Oct. 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
October 18, 2010 1:55 pm

A 22-year-old man charged as part of a large-scale criminal case against 36 alleged members of a Tacoma street gang has pleaded guilty.

Adrian O. Jacobs entered modified guilty pleas this morning to drive-by shooting and conspiracy to commit drive-by shooting, said his attorney, Helen Whitener. He maintained his innocence but acknowledged the likelihood of his conviction at trial.

Prosecutors alleged Jacobs took part in a shooting outside Mount Tahoma High School’s stadium during a football game Sept. 18, 2009. No one was injured by the gunfire.

Jacobs was one of 36 alleged Hilltop Crips charged earlier this year after a law enforcement crackdown on the gang. Prosecutors accused the men of committing a variety of crimes within Tacoma.

Jacobs’ first trial ended in a hung jury. His retrial was scheduled to start this morning with motions from attorneys. Instead, he changed his plea.

“The resolution worked out well,” Whitener said.

Jacobs faces seven years, three months to nine years, eight months in prison when he’s sentenced Jan. 7, deputy prosecutor Greg Greer said.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.