Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Five teens arrested after a series of car break-ins near Vassault Park

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Oct. 18, 2010 at 11:55 am with 18 Comments »
October 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Tacoma police arrested five teenagers early today on suspicion of breaking into a handful of vehicles in the West End.

The four 17-year-old boys and 15-year-old girl were booked into Remann Hall juvenile jail on suspicion of first-degree malicious mischief and first-degree possession of stolen property, Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

Tacoma police started receiving calls just after midnight from residents of the Vassault Park area. The callers reported that a group of people were breaking into vehicles and stealing property from inside, Fulghum said. The group stole items from five vehicles. One of vehicles also was set on fire.

About 1:30 a.m., a Tacoma police officer patrolling in the area spotted a suspicious vehicle. By the time he turned his vehicle around, the vehicle had taken off, Fulghum said.

“(The vehicle) just caught his attention,” he said.

The officer stayed in the area and, a short time later, spotted the same vehicle in the area of North 30th and Pearl streets, Fulghum said.

The officer stopped the car near North 21st and Pearl. He arrested the five teens inside. The officer also spotted stolen property in the vehicle, Fulghum said.

The victims went to the location of the suspects’ vehicle and identified items that had been taken from their cars.

None of the five teens live in the West End. One lives on Tacoma’s East Side and the others live in the county, Fulghum said.

1. Good job Tacoma police officer!

2. chillmama says:

Why are parents letting their kids hang out after midnight? There is absolutely nothing good for kids under 18 to do after midnight. Isn’t there some sort of curfew as well? Kids are always getting into trouble after a certain time of night when there is nothing for them to do, and they get bored. That’s why their behinds need to be at home.

3. It all starts with being involved with your kids lives. Knowing what they are doing, who they hang with and leading and setting an example. Bottom line..

4. What is unfortunate is that the homeowners did not givbe Mama’s Little Darlings a case of acute lead poisoning !

5. sunup500 says:

Mommy and Daddy are out getting liquored up with the money they got from the taxpayers for sitting on their arses. They don’t have time to watch out for junior. They don’t really care about junior. Their kids never do anything wrong. The problem is as I have stated before……When a juvenile can commit a crime and all gets erased at adulthood, threre is no incentive to stop being a criminal juvenile. When the law requires a minor to serve his or her sentence in a Juvenile facility until they reach adulthood, and then finish the remainder of his or her sentence in an adult facility, you will see the difference. Anyone want to guess who will pay for the legal representation for these weasals? The victims will bear the brunt of the losses. How does one come up with the money to replace an automobile? It’s an undue hardship for all victims.

6. proudamerican says:

Not a good start for young adults, hopefully they’ll get counseling, pay the price, take responsibility for their actions, and get back on track before they ruin their precious lives–they only get one and it goes by pretty fast.

7. Alison7613 says:

Hmmmm…….bad kids. But I disagree that mistakes as juveniles should haunt them the rest of their lives. I also disagree that felons should not get to vote. And frankly there ought to be more expungement opportunities for folks who straighten themselves out but cannot get a job because of a mistake they made years ago. That hurts us all as it’s better to have people working.

I do agree that there is a lack of parenting out there but the reasons are case by case. Some parents are working too many hours- some are single and have limited resources. As a former teacher of disabled children, that was a whole other traumatic issue. Having a child with a disability is extremely hard.

So, case by case. But to punish them for their entire life? A bit harsh.

8. Rowdy_Rob says:

All these kids are gonna get is a slap on the wrist and told “don’t do it again” by our fine Hug-A-Thug court system.

Put the five of them in a REAL jail cell by themselves and let them think about what they did…I’m sure the catcalls from their fellow friends…err, inmates, will give them something to think about.

9. the3rdpigshouse says:

Improve the gene pool – snuff em – they will on;ly migrate to more serious crimes in the future!!

10. MJ2YOUNG says:

When I was growing up in Tacoma I was never supervise at home. Both parents worked. Being the youngest of 4, I was on my own. Others in the family were married and out of the house and state. When I did something wrong I never got punish for it. No one sat down and talked to me about what is right or wrong. I had no real dad figure around. I was never treated badly at home. I sort of grew up by myself. My mother did her best as she could. She worked long hours. My step dad was asleep most of the time. I am surprise I did not turn out worse. I hardly saw my real dad. He had his own problems.

I ended up joining the military at 17, smartness thing I ever did. I guess I was looking for a dad figure in the military, I needed some guidance. It saved me from going to jail. I did spend a short time in Ramon hall when I was much younger and the city jail for a short period of time when I was much younger.

I stayed with the military for 22 years learned a trade and stayed out of trouble. I have a lot of regrets when I was growing up, like most people do. Got married twice had 4 kids, that did not turn out too well. I did get some college and a degree. I retired from the military and I retired from civil service.

Do not let some people run your life. Do what is best for you.
    Pick your friends that you hang out with. Some (so call) friends will get you into trouble. It is not worth it. Lot of my friends in Tacoma ended up in jail. Some were kicked out of the military for misconduct.

11. aranciata says:

The “parents” are responsible for their minor children and should be sued. Even if they have nothing, should you get a judgment it will accrue interest and should you read in the paper that they have won the lottery or collected a judgment for something in the future you can make their lives a living hell defending it from you.

12. What happened to midnight basketball? It was all the rage during Clinton and would certainly keep these lids out of trouble.

13. skippythedog says:

That’s just foul! Eastside and county kids should rip off in their own hood!…
    Leave the North end booty for the North end kids! Dope is more expensive in the North end.

14. ktcmairman says:

Alison7613.. I want some of that dope you are smoking! Yae Man! Pass the duggy.

When I was a kid, I knew right from wrong. PS…I still do!

So I hope you never are a crime victim, and if you are, maybe when that kid is raping you, you will pass it off as a mistake that should not follow him the rest of his life!

I have been there and felt that!

15. telepaper says:

MJTOOYYOUNG, thank you for writing what is probably a reality for many youngsters. The kids in our family were in the same situation. Because of the area where we lived, and alot of luck we all made it to adults. Kids need a good influence to guide them even if it is a friend or counselor. These kids that did the destruction need to pay back those they hurt, they need to hear how it affected their victims. Sad when kids do stupid things because of drinking, drugs, and greed.

16. MJ2YOUNG says:

The point I was trying to make. Kids need supervision no matter at what age. Mine was almost none. Parents need to talk to their kids, do things together.
    Punishment when it is needed. Do not wait until the kid is a teenager, it will not work. It has to start when the kids are at a young age.

17. Vexation says:

I’d like to say that the Tacoma Police Department and Ruston Police Department responded with great speed to round up this group of wanton jackasses. The “nanny state” of Washington will undoubtedly find that these poor “teens” just didn’t know what they where doing was “wrong”. I’m sure no lasting resolution will come of this entire affair. Although I really hope I’m wrong. In other states the very real prospect of being shot and killed during a stunt like this is an absolutely effective deterrent to property crimes like car prowls and home invasions. But not around these parts. Just another reason my Wife and I are moving to Florida. The “village” around here is just too blue for us. Sad.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/10/19/1387681/police-arrest-5-teens-in-car-break.html#ixzz12xWVOSog

18. perez253 says:

SHoot ! some of these kids are all ready doing better; 3 of them spent 30 days in remann hall. so idk what yall tripping about; acct like it was a nice as car.. it was a crap car yo !
    & family isnt the case for all these teens; a feww have a great parents!