Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATE: Woman struck, killed by train identified

Post by Stacia Glenn / The News Tribune on Aug. 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm with 7 Comments »
August 10, 2010 9:22 am

UPDATE: The Pierce County Medical Examiner today identified the woman hit and killed by the train as Amanda Dauron, 17. She is from Gig Harbor.

Earlier post: An 18-year-old man struck Sunday night by an Amtrak train near Titlow Beach is in stable condition with serious injuries, according to Tacoma police.

The Medical Examiner’s Office has not identified the 17-year-old girl who was hit and killed by the train.

Both victims are from Gig Harbor.

At 6:32 p.m., the southbound train – heading from Seattle to Eugene, Ore. – struck the pair 11 miles south of the Tacoma station.

None of the crew members of 271 passengers aboard the train were injured. The train was traveling 35 mph when it collided with the victims, according to Amtrak officials.

An investigation is ongoing but Tacoma police say the victims were laying pennies down on the railroad tracks to watch them be flattened by the train and could not move off the tracks in time to avoid being struck.

1. jonalyndad says:

Have to admit how said I am for the victims, but I am also extremely upset at the way amtrak treated the passengers on board that assisted with the victims. My sister was on board and stepped up when asked by amtrak for anybody with medical knowlwedge. My sister and about four others stepped in and were the first repsonders and performed as much trauma care as they could. None of them were trauma doctors or nurses but acted heroically when their fellow citizens needed help. When the paramedics arrived these “heroes” went back to their seats, covered and soaked in blood and not one amtrak official even thanked them for their help. The other passengers had no idea what happened or why the train had stopped. Amtrak never offered theses heroes a simple towel or napkin to get cleaned up or offered maybe a simple complimentary glass of wine (even after one of them stated I could really use a glass of wine!). How said it is today when we close our eyes and forget to thank our everyday citizens. I am ashamed of what we have become. To my sister and the others who stepped in and helped I want to say thank you, and thank God for people like you! To amtrak…sorry you just lost some valuable customers and I hope you take the necessary steps in the future to appreciate your customers!

2. cking9900 says:

Glad to hear that the young man will survive. I pray for his speedy and complete recovery. My sympathy goes out to the young woman’s family and friends. I’m sorry for your loss. I am shocked to hear about how those Amtrak passengers were treated! Shame on them!

3. thankfulduck says:

My experience as a passenger on this train, along with my 7 other family members was very different from the previous posting. My post is not intended to discredit the previous post, but offer an alternate perspective from our experience aboard the same train, and communicate my thanks for your sister’s efforts Sunday. My belief in situations like these is that there are many different perceptions, many contradictory, among all 271 passengers and however many spectators and Amtrak personnel. I think it is first important to remember this and remind people of the urgent nature & timeframe in which this fatal accident occurred. Operating in an emergent situation is different than a routine situation. We were very thankful at the way Amtrak handled the situation with compassion for the victims, medically trained passengers who volunteered their help, and all other passengers. Five people from our car volunteered their expertise & medical services, and were thanked both by passengers and Amtrak personnel from what I personally witnessed. I agree these volunteers were very heroic in their efforts, and the volunteers from our train car were eager to help. When thanked these passengers were very modest and humble in response indicating thanks wasn’t necessary as they just did what they could do, what any of us would have done if we had the proper medical knowledge. Amtrak disclosed as much information as they legally could to the passengers per protocol, and much of the details have still not been publically released. The article above states that the investigation is ongoing. Our final destination was Portland, however my family members continued on south and were updated immediately when they learned the accident had been fatal for the young woman. Considering the circumstances Amtrak managed the situation, solicited immediate medical help, provided continued services to our 271 passengers, cooperated with police investigation, and replaced their personnel to resume service to the remaining destinations in a very timely, respectful, and appropriate manner. Regardless of our different experiences, I am thankful for what your sister contributed to the greater good of that day, what services and knowledge I myself could not offer. While it’s apparent your sister felt overlooked and under-thanked by Amtrak, please have empathy for others involved, including Amtrak personnel, as this was a tragic event for them too, and I firmly believe everyone did the best they could in this tragic accident. And I truly hope your sister and the other medical providers involved, would not hesitate to provide further services in a disaster like this should it be warranted again. Thank you.

4. tortoise says:

Good that there were folks on board who were able to help.
    How long was the train delayed?

5. thankfulduck says:

The train was delayed about 3 hours at the location of the accident.

6. Jonalyndad you said “I am ashamed of what we have become.” I can only agree with the statement in a different context because I think it is misdirected.

I certainly hope that people like your sister will continue to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do and not because they will get thanked, recognized, a towel or a free drink.

As a passenger on the train I felt things were handled professionally given the tragic nature. I personally thanked some responders to the accident. They did what others of us could not and it is greatly appreciated.

Let’s focus on what is important. I hope that many others become more aware of the dangers and will be more safe. My heart continues to break for these two kids and their families.

7. sailsix621 says:

thank you to all those on the train that got out and helped Amanda and Gage. I cant image the horror you had to witness as you tried to help save Amanda’s life and keep Gage alive. Your efforts are truly appreciated