Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Craigslist seller wields gun to stop men who tried to steal his phone

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on July 2, 2010 at 8:04 am with 41 Comments »
July 2, 2010 9:47 am

A man who’d met two potential buyers for his cellular phone Thursday night ended up holding the two at gunpoint in Tacoma after they tried to rob him, Tacoma police report.

Tacoma police arrested both suspects, ages 16 and 18, on suspicion of second-degree robbery.

The incident began just after 10:30 p.m. a parking lot in the 4300 block of Tacoma Mall Boulevard. The victim told police he’d advertised his iPhone on Craigslist, the popular classified advertising website.

The victim met two potential buyers in the parking lot. He showed them the phone. One of the suspects grabbed the phone while the other pushed away from the victim, police reported.

The suspects started to run off. The victim pulled out his handgun and ordered the two suspects to stop.

The suspects complied. The victim, who had a valid concealed weapons permit, held the suspects at gunpoint until Tacoma police officers arrived.

Officers booked the 16-year-old boy into Remann Hall juvenile jail. The 18-year-old man was taken and booked into Pierce County Jail.

1. cclngthr says:

Good. Maybe criminals would think otherwise.

2. Kagan wouldn’t of stood a chance in keeping her phone – same with bleedin-heart libs and dems. If Kagan has her way, America will be disarmed, then Oblahblah and his Merrymen will have the Total Control they’ve been seeking since taking office.

3. Sumner401 says:

10:30 at night in a parking lot to sell an phone?
    I hope they checked the phone to make sure it wasn’t stolen.

4. tommy98466 says:

sumner401 is the typical lib who would look for the answers on why this crime happened to the victim. You can’t agree that if more people did this there wouldn’t be ANY robberies or killings because someone chose to sell on Craigslist, can you? Pathetic.

5. special__k says:

That’s what I’m talkin about when I say vigilanty justice. Legally defending your own and bringing thieves in for justice. Its almost a shame one of these crooks didn’t have a gun and pull it back, probably would have saved us the cost of a trial and the lousy one month sentence they will probably give the thief. I say that hoping the victim having a concealed weapons permit was a good shot.

6. Fargoi5 says:

Our state laws need to be changed to allow victims of crimes the right to use force to detain suspects. Even when it is a misdemeanor. Our streets are full of thieves and bums who take advantage of law-abiding citizens. A clear deterrent to crime is knowing that citizens have the right to prevent it.

7. jhockett says:

Geez, you just can’t please some people! sumner401: Did it occur to you that he set up the meeting in a WELL LIT PLACE, away from his home! He knew he was packing but they did not! LOL Darn, they were running away so he couldn’t shoot without getting himself in trouble! I hope this makes perps think before trying this crap again!

8. jhockett says:

jintz: I read something on another blog yesterday, and it rings true here. Every time you see Obama’s name written stupidly, nothing intelligent follows! This is about a Craig’s List robbery, not a congressional confirmation! I wonder how well you know Kagan? You 2 good friends are you? If you don’t know someone, don’t assume to justify your bent thoughts!

9. dirtydan54 says:

Good thing he doesn’t live in Chicago or his family members could of been goin to his funeral too. Law abiding citizen with cwp that was legally carrying a weapon gets the bad guys all by himself and keeps his property too. Imagine that.

10. ffgandarajd says:

haha! Finally! Good job to the seller.

11. FreeAmerica says:

A pants cleaning life lesson for the youngsters….hope they learned.

12. yay! glad the cops didn’t arrest the gun owner!

13. fivecardstud says:

Another good reason not to disarm honest American Citizens. Start making harsher laws for the illegal gun users instead.

14. FreeAmerica says:

What are you saying Tony….

“Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools.”
    Albert Einstein

“Some fools just don’t know when to quit digging”

15. fivecardstud says:

TonyCrago, it would be the dems selling tickets or paying them to do it.

16. wonderwhy85 says:

jhockett…I like what you said. Why are people on here talking about liberals, and Kagen, and Republicans. This is about two kids trying to rob someone and someone stopping them. Geez!!!

17. Fibonacci says:

I also liked what you said. It would be nice sometimes if people could stick to the story and not go off on tangents to vent their personal political views. Heck, the guy with the gun could have been a Democrat, in spite of what the ultra right thinks, there are Democrats that have permits and carry guns. Good for this guy stopping the dumb kids.

18. Meeting them at 10:30PM in a Mall Parking lot. He was carrying a gun? This sounds like a guy who set up the ad with just this scenario in mind. Given the spate of Craig’s List crimes, I could see it happening.

19. nwcolorist says:

Another would-be victim of crime saved by gun ownership and his knowledge of how to use it. And a bonus – the punks are locked up!

20. People are on here talking politics BECAUSE certain politicians are trying to make it to where you and I can not legally carry a gun. I think that’s the point they are trying to make. I AGREE make the laws tougher ON those who are caught with illegal firearms. And good job to the seller. Glad he was able to keep them there until the police arrived! Another thug bites the dust.

21. chuckwolber says:

I am pretty sick and tired of the bigots who conflate liberals with being anti-gun. I do not care if you have never met a liberal who is pro-gun, that is your problem for being so insular and ignorant.

Just like the separation of church and state (if you think the government screws everything up, why do you want it in your religion?!?!?!), the right to bear arms is an important right in this country.

22. FreeAmerica says:

Chuck…. I will stop conflating liberals as all antigun when you stop conflating conservatives as all bigots and stand up to your liberal base about the importance of the rights we still have….deal?

23. interWOLFone says:

24. I agree Chuck

25. I’m so glad that the seller actually knew what to do! I have no problems with caring a weapon, especially in our day and age, but , I believe that if you carry, please be trained and aware of how and when to use that force. Great job, this is how it’s done.

And yes I carry and have a CWP.

26. opinionatedsenior says:

that is why we have the right to bare arms and don’t let anybody change that!!!!

27. opinionatedsenior says:

Oops, I bear arms

28. reaper14all says:

Let’s see, 16yr old, Juvee, he probably won’t serve any time because he didn’t know what he was doing and the 18 yr old I guess they’ll have family, ffriends saying he is a good kid and he’s never done anything like this before. Probably 6 onths probation if even that. However, they are bringing our inmates from out of state jails because there is now room in our jails so he might get time doubt it e one can only wish in our society today. Be like the Saudis whack off a hand.

29. klthompson says:

I have a sidearm and a permit to carry it concealed. What did it take to secure the permit? Not much! It was too easy! I think it was $60 and a clean record. What do I think of the requirements for the permit? Again not much. As backgound I was school trained as a Military Policeman in the US Army and the training was extensive, particularly as to when and under what circumstances the use of a sidearm was appropriate. Will I shoot someone? Certainly, but it would have to be circumstances amounting a major threat to me, or my family, to cause me to pull the trigger. Property theft doesn’t make the cut. I think it is too easy for untrained individuals to get a CPL.

30. gonesailin06 says:

I also have a CPL and I voted for Obama. People who think that democrats are against gun rights are high….! We’re against hillbillies that will shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. That’s my opinion anyway.

31. brb2uwt says:

AGAIN.. KUDOs to the man with the gun… Who cares if he showed up to the mall parking lot with just this scenario in mind..
    Who cares if he has a concealed weapons permit..

These kids have probably done this before…

Hopefully, just hopefully, a dam judge will make thier punishments harsher than harsh.. That is the only way we will start detouring crime…

32. SpaceThis says:

Word to the wise, don’t go looking to sell your cell phone from a Craigslist add at night time in a parking lot to people you don’t know, “THAT ALONE WAS STUPID”, All this could have been avoided…

33. are phones worth that much?….

34. don’t see the age of the ”victim..” the article….

35. the3rdpigshouse says:

Recommendation – take the two maggots out behind the TPD headquarters and smoke em!!! The result will be an improvement to the “gene pool”!!!!

36. pungentsound says:

orry says:
    July 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm

are phones worth that much?….
    Well let’s see, are your rights as a free American going about within your free right to function in society worth that much? Seems many have died for that right. Phones no, human dignity yes. Fight for your right or die.

37. Kevindot1 says:

I am an Obama supporter. I voted for him and Dino Rosi. Not sure what you right wingers would classify me as (as I know you love to classify your opponents). I definitely lean more center left – but am really against far learners either way. That said, I am not worried in the slightest about losing our rights to bear arms. How stupid to think that will happen. Anyone who believes that is just doing more GOP/tea bagging fear mongering. Maybe a little more restrictions is a good thing to make sure all legal gun owners are properly trained in using said firearm. That is a good thing – and if you think it is not, your are CRAZY! Good for this victim chose to not be victimized!! Little punks learned a lesson.

38. You’d think the two ‘purchasers’ would have been a little more cautious meeting the seller that late at night. Still…Paul Kersey would be proud.

39. Sumner does bring up a valid point! Who the hell would be stupid enough to sell an I phone at 10:30 at night? Even legitimate business’s close somewhere near the 9:00 Hour..

40. Daisydog says:

Neo— I think you and I are the only ones who know who Paul Kersey is…… did you know Chuck Norris wears Paul Kersey underpants?

41. teammojjo says:

A feel good story about a guy who tried to sell something on CL, had 2 kids try to take it from him, and he defended himself and kept his goods. Yet, those who have nothing better to do than whine about the government, any form of it, will bring it up. Man, you people need to stay off of the conspiracy web sites. I say good job to the seller. To the parents of the two teens, you must be proud.