Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

UPDATED: Police searching for man suspected of stealing from South End Safeway

Post by Joyce Chen on March 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm with 13 Comments »
March 12, 2010 11:11 am

Tacoma police are searching for a man suspected of stealing a money bagĀ  at a Safeway on S. 38th Street and S. M St.

The incident happened a little before 7 p.m. at 1302 South 38th St., according to police scanner chatter. The thief walked up and grabbed a bag containing several hundred dollars from a 16-year-old Girl Scout who was selling cookies.

The thief is described as a thin tall white male in his 20s, with red hair and a goatee. The man was wearing a gray hoodie, a gray beanie, gray jeans and black shoes. He was last seen heading northwest from the Safeway.

Robbery, Tacoma
  1. Safeway itself has been taking a very ‘anti-community’ stance in the last 6 months. I see good reason for citizen hostility. However these are Girl Scouts and the group is a great benefit for the girls and the community. It’s hard for me to imagine why someone would take their anger and greed out on these. I despise the guy just sitting here and usually I have more control.

2. shadow99 says:

What kind of douche would rob Girl Scouts? I unfortunately shop at that Safeway from time to time. I always hate going in there because of all of the scum and idiots that shop there and the homeless people that walk up to you in the parking lot and ask for money because they ‘ran out of gas’. That this would happen at this Safeway location is no big shock to me.

3. Humans always find a new low……….get him a rope……..

4. That Safeway is one of the worst in Tacoma. Like shadow99 said, there are always people in the parking lot asking for money. I was there last night about an hour before this happened and there were a couple of kids scanning the parking lot for unlocked cars and door checking. (yeah I called it in)

This is the same Safeway where a man was killed after a fight in the parking lot last November.

I had just purchased cookies from the young woman selling them last night. Am going to see if I can donate money to her to help make up for the loss.

5. imissmymother1 says:

what a douche bag, robbing little girls who are selling cookies. I hope whn he gets to jail they beat the you know what out of him and make him eat cookies till he pukes. scum bag.

6. crappyemailname says:

Seriously, what the #$%& is wrong with some people. I hope Karma takes notice of this worthless sack and he chokes on a cookie.

7. ‘Safeway itself has been taking a very ‘anti-community’ stance in the last 6 months. I see good reason for citizen hostility.”

Alinup,
    Can you please elaborate – if you can’t, then one would have to take your comments as merely a personal grudge rather than any justification for hostility.
    But whatever grudge you have, it’s it poor taste to use this unfortunate incident to push your point/

8. tacomakittie9 says:

That’s ridiculous. What did the girl scouts ever do to him besides sell him awesome cookies?

9. BJ Shea from the BJ Shea Morning experience on 99.9 f.m. donated $999 dollars too her and hand delivered the check to her today when she was in seattle selling cookies. Good job BJ girl scouts don’t deserve that. Way to show her that for the one idiot thats out there there is ten really nice people

10. reaper14all says:

If caught whack off his hands, would be hard to steal anything then. I take that back, whack off his legs to, that way he can’t steal anything and then run away either. Then brand him on his forehead as a theif of children.

11. supernintendochalmers says:

I’ve shopped that this store only once, and that was enough.

On our way into the store, last december, my friend and I were verbally harrassed by someone…..over a parking spot. As the driver, I immediately apologized for taking his spot (even though he had already passed that spot for a better one only to find out that one had been double parked by the car next to it). But still he called me the “c” word, out of nowhere, and threatened to fight us down the street. Even though we are 19yo and he was in his mid-40s with apparently “4 kids and a wife we didn’t care about” we were the adults in the situation and walked away (with him still following us). Inside the store was an on duty TPD officer and a security guard, whom we notified. Other than that, the employees of the store were very nice.

Maybe they should have the extra security in the parking lot rather than inside the store….or maybe some of our fellow citizens should grow a pair and not harass and steal from kids.

12. supernintendochalmers says:

….funny how i knew exactly which safeway store it was before opening the article.