Crews are on the scene of a fire at a longtime Puyallup auto parts store this morning.
The fire erupted shortly after 3 a.m. at Hagen’s Hiway Auto Parts Inc., 1526 block of River Road, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue spokesman Matt Holm said. No one was inside the business at the time of the fire.
Firefighters found flames coming from the roof and quickly went to a second-alarm. Crews were not able to get inside the store because of the size of the fire and the weight of the items stored on the building’s second-floor.
Firefighters fought the flames from the outside and spent three hours getting it under control. They also had to deal with freezing fog, Holm said.
Holm said the store’s roof has partially collapsed onto the second floor.
The fire did not spread to any other businesses. No firefighters have been injured, Holm said.
Hagen’s has been in business since 1945 in Puyallup. The store specializes in rare parts of vehicles, particularly trucks, Holm said.
A building inspector is on scene. Holm said it could be several hours before crews can get into the building to investigate what sparked the blaze. There is a lot of smoke and water inside the building. Structural integrity also will be a concern.
Northbound (or as some would consider eastbound) River Road is closed around the fire scene but the westbound lanes are open, Holm said.
UPDATE: River Road is closed at 66th. A detour route has been set up. Transportation crews are providing traffic control.
UPDATE No. 2: Find a photo gallery of this morning’s fire scene here.